300 Word Max SOP?

From USC Columbia's Comp Lit admissions page:

Applicants are asked to submit a writing sample of 3000 words and a statement of purpose (300 words maximum).

This doesn't seem even remotely possible to me. I just started work on my SOP today and the introductory paragraph is over 250 (granted, some slashing and burning will need to take place).

Did anyone apply to this program or deal with something similar? Any tips on how to write this without reducing it to McNuggets of disjointed information?

I dealt with something similar, most of my programs wanted 1000 word SOPs, but one wanted 400 words. Ultimately, the shorter SOP was in my opinion the best because it was compact, interesting, and required me to choose my words and content carefully. I had to create a list of content that I felt was necessary to a good SOP, and then amend it to something that I could fit into three short paragraphs. Finally, I ended up with one paragraph on my interests, one paragraph on my background, and one paragraph on why the school was a good fit for my interests and background. Hope that helps at least a little.