Post-admission stress disorder (PASD)

0blivi0n

I've actually *attended* grad school once before. That feeling does go away quite quickly and it isnt long before you are consumed by the rigors of whatever program you got into.

My stress will actually be over before I start school. Before I get to that point I have a crapload of stuff to do and fall into place, starting with that 3000 mile move. :blink:

That's stress

Thank you so much to all for your thoughtful replies...I really appreciate it! I actually won't be on campus until the fall as I live on the opposite coast...Should I initiate a meeting via email or do you normally meet the week before with the professor? Are TA's normally provided the texts for the class in advance and free of charge? I think I will simply be leading discussion sections, attending lecture, and maintaining office hours, but now I'm wondering if there is more to it than this....It sounds as if most of you have had much more responsibility than that...I didn't realize that TAs were actually teaching classes, by which I imagine you are presenting lectures, etc? Also, I am a woman, and I'm wondering your advice on getting problematic students to behave. Do you ignore them? Call them on it? On the first day of class (in my case, discussion), how did you introduce yourself? Also, how did you respond to questions to which you didn't know the answer? Lastly, what kind of dress code should I follow? Thanks again for your advice...You have NO idea how valuable it is and how I much I appreciate it!

Whether you will be teaching courses or leading discussions depends on the field and program. For history, I imagine you'll start out as a discussion leader while the professor holds the large lectures. Then you'll move up to lecturer--still not quite independent. Then, when you're advanced in the program, you'll teach as the instructor of record, completely independent (though there is usually still some oversight--observations). No matter where you are in the process, you will always get desk copies of the course texts for free (and free copies of other books the publishers want you to use).

You won't get many questions you don't know the answer to. Usually it is miscommunication/vagueness on behalf of the student. Ask for clarification. If you really don't know the answer you can do two things: ask the class what they think or acknowledge that you don't know the answer and that you'll get back to them next class period or over email. (You're not an encyclopedia).

Dealing with problematic students is a trial and error practice. Some problem students need you to call them out and keep them focused (like high school). Some problem students you need to ignore because they only want attention and by calling them out, you are rewarding disruptive behavior. Most of this intuitive--you've probably seen professors do this over your academic career. And most students behave fairly well--they want to be there/make use of their money and college education.

My first day teaching (as instructor of record)

*"Is everyone in the right place?" (course and room number)

*"My name is ______. You may call me (whatever you're comfortable with: Ms. ______, instructor--occasionally I'll let an upperlevel course use my first name if I think they can handle it/not get disrespectful)."

*"My field is composition rhetoric. I'm interested in...." (Some personal information)

*If a small course (25 students or less), have students complete an icebreaker where they introduce themselves and their interests (also use this as roll).

*Go over syllabus

*Do in class writing (as a diagnostic writing sample)

Specifics vary by field--this one is obviously composition/writing oriented.

My first day as an intern (discussion leader/lecturer)

*Professor introduces course and self/interests

*Professor introduces me as assistant/discussion leader--I tell them about myself/interests

*Professor or I conduct icebreaker

*Professor goes over syllabus

Everything is prearranged with professor, even if just 15 minutes before class. Usually you'll probably meet with the professor the week before to discuss how things will go/what to cover.

Dress code: Follow whatever the dress code is at the university. Mine doesn't have one. That being said, most people wear academic casual: dress pants/skirt and a blouse/sweater.

Edited by Str2T