How important is TA-ing?

Averroes MD

Is TA-ing the important part, or teaching experience? If one has the opportunity to teach at another university as opposed to TA-ing at one's own university, would this teaching as an adjunct be sufficient? Or is there a specific need for doing TA-ing during your PhD?

TAing is better than nothing. However, if you can be the instructor of record for a class, this is way more valuable in the eyes of hiring committees. Almost everyone TA's nowadays, and since this experience is so varied (I have had semesters where I only grade to some where I've taught 5+ times) it is hard to accurately value it. Adjuncting pre-conferral of a PhD will help to begin to set you apart in some fields. 

Also, most people TA as a part of their departments funding package. It's more a situation of how do I get my stipend rather than how I do I better my CV. 

4 hours ago, dmueller0711 said:

TAing is better than nothing. However, if you can be the instructor of record for a class, this is way more valuable in the eyes of hiring committees. Almost everyone TA's nowadays, and since this experience is so varied (I have had semesters where I only grade to some where I've taught 5+ times) it is hard to accurately value it. Adjuncting pre-conferral of a PhD will help to begin to set you apart in some fields. 

Also, most people TA as a part of their departments funding package. It's more a situation of how do I get my stipend rather than how I do I better my CV. 

Thanks for your answer. Appreciate it.