Ed.D. at HGSE & Teachers College vs Ph.D. from other schools

thomasedu9

In general, what are the differences between Ed.D. degrees offered by Harvard/Teacher College and other Ph.D. programs from other schools in education?

Some programs, particularly in learning/educational technologies, are offered through Ph.D. (Michigan/NYU) while some offered only in Ed.D (Teachers College). Are these equivalent in academic arena and future academic status?

I steered away from Ed.D. programs, knowing that I definitely wanted an academic position. I'd ask for alumni profiles of those who went into faculty jobs. Harvard has some profiles on their site: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/academics/doctorate/edd/alumni/index.html but I don't see any academic positions listed. A lot will depend on your advisor and how much you publish, of course...

That said, I didn't even consider TC (Ed.D. or Ph.D.) because of the funding issues. There was no way I was going to go somewhere that didn't fund everyone.

I steered away from Ed.D. programs, knowing that I definitely wanted an academic position. I'd ask for alumni profiles of those who went into faculty jobs. Harvard has some profiles on their site: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/academics/doctorate/edd/alumni/index.html but I don't see any academic positions listed. A lot will depend on your advisor and how much you publish, of course...

That said, I didn't even consider TC (Ed.D. or Ph.D.) because of the funding issues. There was no way I was going to go somewhere that didn't fund everyone.

This is going to get a little confusing, and I apologize in advance:

The Ed.D. degree at Harvard is a research degree, and is viewed as a direct equivalent to a PhD earned at other Universities. PhDs at Harvard can only be offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (or programs affiliated with the FAS). So, when the Ed School implemented its Doctoral program, it chose to call the degree Doctorate of Education (EdD). Similarly, the Harvard School of Public Health offers a Doctor of Science (SD) degree, not a PhD.

At other Universities (such as UPenn) the PhD is a research degree and the EdD is a practitioners degree. (The practitioners degree at Harvard is the E.D.Ld.)

So: If you earn an EdD from Harvard, it's a research degree on par with a PhD elsewhere. You can look at the EdD curriculum HERE too see that it's equivalent.

I steered away from Ed.D. programs, knowing that I definitely wanted an academic position. I'd ask for alumni profiles of those who went into faculty jobs. Harvard has some profiles on their site: http://www.gse.harva...umni/index.html but I don't see any academic positions listed. A lot will depend on your advisor and how much you publish, of course...

You didn't read the profiles very carefully. Some of them are listed as current professors.

See also, (the last reply on the page)

This is not even an issue any more.