How necessary is the GRE math subject test

danny1997

I am looking into phd programs in statistics, and a few masters programs in applied mathematics or statistics. I was hoping to take the math GRE subject test to help with this, but cost and distance from the nearest testing center made that difficult, so I did not take it. My math and statistics GPA is right above a 3.5 and will go up before graduation, and on the quant section of the regular GRE I received a 166 (have yet to receive percentile score). Do you think this will hurt my chances of getting into any programs?

Not necessary at all for MS programs. For Statistics PhD programs , if the rest of the application is very strong, then it's not necessary (except at the schools that require it). For applicants who went to less well-known schools, who have a light math background, and/or who have lower math GPAs, then a great score on the Subject GRE can help boost the application. However, even in these cases, I would also say that obtaining a Masters degree in Math or Statistics and performing well in the Masters program would serve as bigger boosts to the  PhD application than the Subject GRE.