Got into great food science program but a little worried about their funding situation...

Guest ketodietman

Guest ketodietman

So, I got into Food Science Ph.D in NCSU and U Maryland, CHemical engineering PhD in U Alabama, and Biomedical engineering in Stevens Institute.

NCSU, BAMA, and SIT all promised me full funding, but UMD has been a little uncertain. Apparently, UMD grad school has some weird funding processes.

I chose my potential PI because she has a great reputation in the department for taking great care of her students and fantastic research experiences. She is trying her very best to get me a job that's comparable to RA during the first semester. I have been corresponding with her a lot, but this is what she says verbatim:

"We will try our best to support you as RA/TA during the 4-5 years of your PhD program at UMD unless you are not legible for assistantship due to unsatisfied academic performance, misconduct et al according to UMD/college/depart rules. This is same to all other graduate students. "

Is this just a soft way to say "you are gonna get funded but I can't give you guarantee just due technicality" or "you mav actually not get fully funded"? I don't want to drop out in the middle because the school can't pay me do their works.

Well, this is not unusual at other schools too. I need to maintain a B(+?) average to maintain my funding. So I don't think what she's saying is out of the ordinary.

Just the 'try our best part' - what does that mean?! Maybe contact current grad students for more info or ask what the current situation is/what it has been like in previous years