Analytical Writing

How much does the Analytical Writing section "count" for a student preparing to apply to a Ph.D. program in English Literature? For example, my scores were dismal: I received a V156 and a Q141. I'm a terrible standardized tester; perhaps my only saving grace is my 6.0 in Analytical Writing. That aside, I think I have no qualms with articulating "fit" in my applications, received positive comments regarding the strength of my SOP, and, lastly, a relatively decent writing sample I spent quite some time working on to bolster my application. I have a 3.82 GPA overall, a 4.0 in my major (English in the Honors Scholar Program), considerable research/teaching/editorial experience,  and a couple of conference presentations. I am also applying straight out of undergrad from a top-20 public state university. My main question: how much do English graduate admissions look at AW? Does it somehow compensate for my shoddy Verbal score? Can my AW score still qualify me for top-30 programs? ? Please note that I don't have time to retake it again for the third time nor do I feel confident about my forthcoming Subject Literature scores (the latter of which I will probably only send out if required). 

I think the saying "A bad score will keep you out, but a good score won't get you in" applies here. From my correspondence with programs in previous years, I couldn't find a program that puts much weight in the AW score. I think the reason for this is because schools have your WS and SOP which gives them a better indication of "fit" and of your writing style. I don't think your AW score would "qualify" you for a top-30 program, but it shouldn't keep you out of any* top 30 programs either.

I think it's also important to look beyond the "top 30" because US news compiles that list based upon less than 15 percent of grad directors who respond to their survey. It fails to take into account the strengths a program has, their placement rate, or how much support a program can offer you as a student.

*I will add here that there are some T30 programs that do prefer verbal scores to be in the 90th/95th percentile. Most schools are happy to share their average class profile if you ask.