Drew History and Culture

muffinlit

I saw someone got accepted into Drew's program... I was just wondering if the letter had any information.

I just got my Drew H&C acceptance/scholarship letter yesterday. It came with an intent to enroll form, a brochure for the school, and an invite to student day. More information is promised as soon as the intent to enroll form has been filled out and sent in with the initial deposit.

Edited by librarychic

• 10 months later...

Do they offer much in the way of funding for students? How competitive are the admissions to the program?

I've visited the campus and met with some of the staff and I really loved it. It is my first choice program/school provided I get funding of some sort (which is my fear because tuition there is so high).

Students admitted full-time to the program usually get scholarships worth 25%-75% of tuition, with most falling in the mid-range of 50%. Two or three of the students admitted straight into the PhD receive full funding with fellowships that usually require some non-paid internship over the course of their enrollment. From what I understand its usually a semester or two and you'd set up the internship with approval of your advisor. This is part of Drew University's mission to craft public intellectuals who give back to the community. There are a few (2-3) TA positions available each semester that usually pay $1,000/semester. The workload for that position varies depending on the professor and the course. The idea behind that is to give students some experience more than provide you with a hefty paycheck.

Some caveats regarding financial aid: Because its a small school you have to take the initiative to find out what you need and when, especially when it comes to getting your loan money and deferral paperwork. Also, if you take out extra loans to pay for housing or living costs you will have to email the financial aid office about two weeks after the last drop date to request that they actually give you a check for whatever loan money is left after your costs are paid. What this usually translates into is that you will not get any money for living expenses until almost midway through the semester. So if you enroll in Drew University you will have to have some outside resources to tide you over until Mid-October and then again Mid-February.

As far as admissions, this year Drew University had the highest number of applicants it has every received. We were told during orientation it was somewhere in the 300-range. Approximately 30 or so were admitted this year and most of those students accepted. I believe the faculty are looking at

Do they offer much in the way of funding for students? How competitive are the admissions to the program?

I've visited the campus and met with some of the staff and I really loved it. It is my first choice program/school provided I get funding of some sort (which is my fear because tuition there is so high).

Thanks for clearing this up.

After looking at their website, I was under the impression that most of the H&C students got funding provided they TA, do the internship, and do administrative work. I see now that it might not be the case. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Thanks a lot for the information.

• 1 year later...

A bit of necromancy, it seems. I was recently accepted to the History & Culture MA with a 60% scholarship and the possibility of switching to the Ph.D. (with funding, hopefully...) after my first year. I'm still waiting to hear back about a Fulbright I applied to, but at this point, Drew is the plan.

Anyone else out there going to/thinking about Drew for next year?

Edited by naturalog