Neuroscience PhD program in UNC Chapel Hill

I've noticed there are two neuroscience PhD programs in UNC: one neuroscience program under BBSP and one behavioral& integrative neuroscience program under Psychology department. It seems like BBSP does not require GRE while integrative neuroscience focuses on drug addiction (I'm super interested in drug addiction research while my GRE score will be a drawback :( ). Does Anyone know what's the other difference between two programs? Which one is a better choice for international applicants? Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...

The psych department one has a primarily psych curriculum while the BBSP one has a primarily neurobiology curriculum. e.g.:

https://bnpsych.unc.edu/curriculum/

https://www.med.unc.edu/neuroscience/curriculum/courses/

Psych neuro work often uses higher level methodology like fMRI/EEG research paired with computational modeling and behavioral experiments. Another common difference I see between psych and bio neuro programs is that the former is mostly an apprenticeship in one lab while bio neuro programs tend to begin with rotations between several labs before committing to a lab and thesis project. Because of this more communitarian approach to studentship, individual profs tend to have less agency over whether a particular bio neuro applicant get in than over whether a particular psych neuro applicant gets in, since the decision has broader implications for other labs' work. Alternatively, fit into a particular lab matters a bit more when you apply via the psych track while it matters less when you apply via the bio track. Not sure if that's true specifically for chapel hill or not, though.