Statement of Purpose word limit

Hey gang,

Hope the applications are going well for everyone, and that stress levels are under control!

I just wanted to poll everyone - what's the general wisdom on statement limits? Most seem to top out at 1000 words - is this a rigorously counted and enforced limit? If I were, say, 20 words over, is that a killer?

I know this seems like a first year undergrad question about trying to finesse limits - I know there's always more to cut, always - but I'm just curious about the latitude, if there is any.

Maybe someone else has more authority to answer this but my impression is that when they say "1000 words" they mean 2 single-spaced pages using 12 point Times New Roman or the equivalent and reasonable borders - i.e. no weird tricks to squeeze in 1500 words. So "500 words" means one page and "1000 words" means 2 pages. No one will count the words, they just want what you submit to fit on 2 pages. Other than that it's the content that matters.