I would like to thank...because...

martizzle

I thought it would be a great idea to actually post who people we would like to thank, and why....

you could rate it by categories if you want, i.e. VIP, IP, P

I start by saying:

my mother - she was always there for me, no words were needed (on my part lol), but she was always there for me

my physics prof - in 2009, he must have sent out 20+ LORs for me. i love him (pity we are too much men, to actually talk about our feelings lol)

a prof i only met online - he was very helpful in my past research, and actually sent out LORs last year and this year, to some of the programs i applied to

my gf - i dont know exactly what she did, but im smart enough to realize im supposed to thank her lol. she was there for me

VIP = in this case, they are all VIPs

Mmmm..., people I would like to thank:

VIPs:

The three professors who wrote my LORs;

the three professors who read my SOP (one also wrote one of the LORs);

the woman at the career center who helped me with my SOP and my resume (coming from Europe, I wasn't sure about the American format);

my friend who graduated from IUB (same university that has accepted me) for helping me with the process (she was also international, so she had gone through the same process: TOEFL, GRE, Financial Statements, ...);

my family, for supporting me even when that would mean having me thousands of miles away from home for the next X years;

my friends/colleagues, for bearing with me during these weeks of anguish without yelling at me or kicking me in the ... (I guess I'll have to invite them for dinner to compensate for my constant moaning)

I'm pretty sure I'm leaving people out, I just hope they don't take it personally tongue.gif

I'd like to thank... Both of my mentors, one in the English department and one in the Comparative Religion department: these two men have been a source of encouragement and prodding for years now. They never gave up on me, even when most people would have (and often did). The Department of Comparative Religion, for giving me a job when no one else would have... I needed the experience grading, tutoring, and doing the hands-on, "backstage" aspects of the educational world. The English Department, for not landing hard on me when I finished a master's project (thesis) that was 80% religion and 20% literature, and even encouraging me (there are specific faculty who did). Thanks for humoring me. My loyal friends, both at my current university and outside, who knew, deep down, that I'd get there eventually, come hell or high water. They were right. And the department that accepted me--thank you for a great visit, for great advice, and, most importantly, for giving me a shot.

I have to thank my Micro-Econs prof, for being very positive and encouraging through it all; my Strat prof (who was my MBA Academic Director), for talking me through various issues about grad schools in the US; and my Game Theory prof, for also being so approachable and positive. Also my current boss, who bothers to train me in this interesting job of mine, knowing that he could lose me in a whiff once I get admitted into grad school.

I would like to thank:

My mother- she's been my no. 1 cheerleader from day 1 and has encouraged me all this time (miles away) , trusted my judgment and prayed for me.

My aunt- cheered me on; gave me the opportunity to get away.

My boyfriend- putting up with me all these years, encouraging me and believing in me when I doubted myself. Giving ma a shoulder to cry on and a someone I could count on.

My professors- providing me with the tools that I need to pursue my dream.

All friends and other family for encouragement.

Edited by daimiasue

1. My parents for being supportive of me even though they have absolutely no idea about what grad school entails or means. It's unchartered territory and they have been shuffling me around the US to interviews, visits, etc.

2. The relatives in MO who took me under their wing and pretty much helped me get around there, which made my visit really productive.

3. My thesis advisor who also wrote letters of rec and counseled me in what to do. He has been a part of my life for four years now and has been incredibly supportive in my research.

4. My LOR writers who also helped me with my PS's. They were very useful and demanding about what needed to be covered.

5. My academic advisor who is an amazing, amazing lady!

6. The people at the schools who chose my application based on my research.

7. My friends for being amazing through all of this and taking me out when I needed stress relief.