Is W.J.T. Mitchell still teaching / taking students at U.Chicago Art History PhD?

ial

Hi everyone, 

I sent an email to the department a couple of days ago but haven't received any answer. Since I am polishing my SOP, and Mitchell is one of the main reasons I'm applying to this program, it would be great to know... I'm also concerned by the fact his name does no longer appear in the courses description (as it did some months ago).. Did he retire or is about to do so? Are there any U.Chicago's Art History PhD Students out there who can help me answer this? 

Thank you! 

I would email him directly to introduce yourself, express your interest in his work, and ask if he is still accepting students. I did this with all on my POIs and learned that one is retiring and one is on sabbatical next year, so it can be very helpful. 

Ditto. Also check if he has a personal website with information for prospective students. One professor I'm applying to work with wrote explicitly on her personal website that she did not respond to preemptive emails from prospectives, and yet another posted on his website that he was looking for a very specific range of research topics.