Profile evaluation: Econ/Math background

geromedyne

Hi all,

GPA: ~3.5 at a top liberal arts college (deflates grades, ~3.1 average for the past 30 years)

Major: Math/Econ

Courses: adv metrics/macro/micro (A,A,B+), math up to Real analysis and prob theory/math stats (A's and a couple B's), Quantitative Methods on Social Science (Poli Sci course), Intro to IR

Research: RA's for an econ prof (rec will be beautiful), senior thesis in econ (another great rec), micro/game theory prof (got B's in both classes but had a good impression on em, should be "fine")

GRE: 168 Q/161 V

I'm interested in formal theory, quant methods and applying it to political economics ,voting behavior. 

I will be applying to NYU, Stanford, URochester, Berkeley, Chicago, and a range of lower ranked programs.  How bad will having little xp in poli sci and all econ recs hurt me? Do you think I have a chance at these schools? 

It shouldn’t hurt you at all. There is much cross fertilization between economics and political science, particularly in political economy. I’ve known quite a few people on this forum (one of whom got into Harvard) that was a math/Econ major and only had recs from math and Econ professors. As long as you clearly explain in your statement of purpose how your research interests fit within the field of political science and within the department you are applying to specifically, you will be fine. 

As far as whether you have a chance at these schools, as many on this forum would tell you, it largely depends on a multiplicity of factors, including the competitiveness of the applicant pool, the professors that happen to be on the admissions committee, what mix of interests and sub fields the admissions committees would like to comprise the entering class for that year, the strength of your statement of purpose, etc. In some general sense, yes you have a shot, particularly with your high quant score. You may want to retake the GRE again to see if you can improve your verbal. I hear some schools take the highest scores from each section for each test you submit. The competition is usually pretty great at the top schools like Stanford and Berkeley. 

Since your GPA and GRE are pretty solid, much will depend on your letters of rec, and particularly the strength of your SOP and whether your research interests are a good fit for the department. Stanford has a particularly strong institutional bent, with leanings in economic history. As one Poli Sci professor at Stanford told me, “we are known as an economic history department housed in a political science department”. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Neo_Institutionalist