Letter-writers?

Indecisive Poet

Hi all,

Next year I will be applying to both English PhD programs and MFA programs in fiction-writing. I have a concern about my applications for the latter:

I only took a few creative writing classes as an undergrad and they were all with part-time lecturers rather than tenured faculty members (and my undergrad university has some very well-known writers on the faculty – kicking myself now for not taking advantage...). Two of these lecturers I had good relationships with but I don't believe the others would even remember who I was if I reached out to them, and I definitely didn't submit great work in their classes (I thought I had an interest in screenwriting at the time but as it turns out I am a terrible screenwriter and have since focused entirely on fiction and poetry). I'm in an English MA program now and creative writing is not a component. It seems my only option is to ask the two part-time lecturers for letters and an English professor, of which I have several good options. None of them, of course, are familiar with my creative work.

Does anyone know how heavily LoRs are weighted in the MFA admissions process? I understand that the writing sample and the statement of purpose are the most significant components, but I am concerned that my lacking LoRs will nonetheless hurt my applications.

Edited by Indecisive Poet