Effect of Low Real Analysis Grade?

Geococcyx

(Yet again, probably a relatively common question, but not one I found the search terms for)

I was taking real analysis this semester and got a B.  I'm assuming that most schools seriously considering me will ask for grades from this semester, given that I was taking real analysis and statistical inference this semester, so I'm curious as to what schools that would take off the table.  What level of statistics and biostatistics schools and programs (Ph.D./M.S.) would this take off the table, respectively?

I'm probably not the only person wondering this at the current time of year, so I'd hope for a more general answer if you've got it, but for my case specifically I'll list a few associated factors:

-Real analysis is about the only high-level math I've taken.

-Most relevant other grades would probably be:  Probability (A, last semester), Intro to Analysis (A-, last semester), Intro Proofs (A, last semester), and Statistical Inference (A, this semester).

-I'd hope regular GRE scores wouldn't matter, but I got a 170 in quantitative.  Didn't take the math subject test, although I'd imagine it could help a lot for those who did.

Thank you to everyone who responds, good luck to anyone else in a similar position, and congratulations and good work to those who did better!  Happy Holidays y'all!

It's hard to say that any school will be "off the table". The B in Real Analysis will be a major ding for the top PhD programs (and a minor ding for other programs), but nothing that can't be overcome with strong letters/research. You already have strong math grades elsewhere (including in proof-based classes) as well as a 170 on the Quant section of the GRE, so I think you will almost certainly be competetive at good programs provided you have sound letters and some research experience.

For an MS? A B in a Real Analysis will almost certainly be considered as a plus by all but Berkeley/Stanford, who will at worst view it neutrally (or slightly negatively). Nothing to sweat about here.

And some words of encouragement, if I may: You should hold your head up high for getting a B in Real Analysis. It's a difficult class (even for most pure math majors), but you chose to persevere through it despite not technically needing to for many programs (especially MS programs). Keep your head up high and know that you are on track to getting into some very respectable programs, something that most people won't be able to say for themselves! :)

Edited by theduckster

Where do you want to go? One B is not really bad, but the fact that your math background is light enough where we don't have a clearer picture of what you can do is a bigger deal.  If you took a couple more higher level math classes and did well, the B isn't going to stick out as much. Strong research could easily make up for this too.  The B is not going to look great, but it's not going to be the make or break of your application - if it's going to be the thing that keeps you out of Stanford or Penn then you probably weren't going to get into those schools even with an A. 

I have a similar question. I got A- for real analysis this semester, and A+ for another graduate level stats class (Just got the grade this morning). Should I update my grade to the application? I go to a top 10 schools (Ivy/UChicago/Duke/Stanford level), and I am worried that A- will hurt my application. Thanks!