2019 -U of T MA Statement of Interest 500 word limit

Bana81

Hello,

I am applying for 2019 MA in History at U of T. 

Is it acceptable to go over the word limit for a 500 statement of interest to 700 ? I have been trying really really hard to bring my word count down but I find it so hard to explain my background, my motivation and my thesis topic in 500 words. 

Just wondering if its a big NO NO to go over the word limit or generally acceptable ? 

Thanks in advance,

When I was applying to their PhD program, I also rewrote mine to meet U of T's requirement of no more than 500 words. (the original version is around 1000 words) Expressing oneself in a concise and informative way is also a skill, and going over the 500 words so obviously may leave the committee an impression that you lack that skill. If other applicants can work it out, so can you! If "bringing it down" is too difficult, think about restructuring the content, prioritizing the most important information, or even rewriting it. 

[I just realized my response might be too late to be useful to OP, but anyways...]

Edited by AnUglyBoringNerd