I'm not sure what to do now...

NuclearBlebs

I'm applying straight out of undergrad. I was wavering about whether to apply this cycle at all, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to take a year or two to work as a lab tech or if I'd want to start a grad program right after college. So, this cycle, I applied to schools that I knew would all be long shots for me. I've gotten one interview at a program that I'm not sure will be the best fit for me. If I ultimately get accepted there, would it be stupid of me to turn that down, start applying for tech jobs, and try the application process again in a year or two? 

I applied straight out of undergrad, got accepted for a master's (not PhD), and turned it down in favor of getting a tech job. I think that was the best decision I could have made. I've gained tons of experience and really narrowed down my research interests thanks to my tech job, plus I now have multiple papers and great LORs! I just applied for PhD programs again this cycle (~3 years later) and have several interviews lined up. If you're not thrilled with the program I definitely recommend applying for jobs and trying again later.

Tech job is the way to go. You’ll gain valuable experience in both strengthening your resume, your research focus, and still enjoy the same level of responsibility and work of a grad student. Think of it as a PhD test run, without the commitment. It’ll definitely improve your profile in one cycle or two.