Drop Your "Profile" and Where You Applied

TheLeoLinguist

I think this could be helpful for current and future applicants. 

Comment below:

• Your "candidate profile" (whatever this means to you, possibly including: majors, minors, gre scores, gpa, publications, work experience, etc.).
  • To which schools/programs you applied.
  • What your interests/focuses would be.
  • [Optional] Update when you hear back from the schools

• 8 months later...
  • Major- Asian studies, Chinese studies (4.0 in major), MA in linguistics- 3.89 GPA, TESOL Certificate, Strategic Languages Certificate, GRE score- 5.5 on writing (can't honestly remember the other two!) publications 3- work experience- tutoring.  recommendations from people top in the field of sociolinguistics and anthropology, part of a competitive government grant funded language program as an undergraduate. 
  • To which schools/programs you applied: accepted into university of Arizona for a PhD in anthropology with an emphasis in sociolinguistics- told them forget it after visiting. 
  • What your interests/focuses would be.: English language in communities of practice in China focusing on marketing and branding of products.  
  • [Optional] Update when you hear back from the schools- I heard back and decided no (this was back a few years ago).  Why?  The school had very little funding and all the students I spoke to were in massive debt with no end in sight to ever graduating.  One professor said I should expect to be there for 8 years.  It was really absurd and I felt like people were just being milked for money.  
Edited by jaejae88