Prospects for Religious Studies Phd programs

ctaylor152478

Hi! I'm a B.S. student at Troy University in Alabama. I'm desperately hoping to get into a Tibetan Religious Studies PhD program. Here is my profile:

Old World History Major / Religion and Philosophy Minor

3.9 GPA

162V 147Q 5.5W

Passed HSK 3 Chinese Proficiency test

Completed Summer Tibetan Language Immersion Program in India

Have completed 4 Chinese courses (Up to Intermediate Chinese II), with A's

Have been studying Tibetan with my Undergraduate mentor for 2yrs

Have studying religion on location twice, once in a Summer Study Abroad program in India, and once in a Summer Study Abroad program in Nepal. 

My University doesn't offer official Tibetan language classes and does not have a Religion major. I have, however, been lucky enough to have great personal relationships with my mentors here. Therefore, I'm confident I'll have great recommendation letters. I'm worried about how my language skills will hold me back, how much the GRE scores will hamper me, and my lack of a MA. 

I'm trying to get into PhD programs at UVA, Indiana Bloomington (Central Eurasian Studies), Florida State,  Berkeley, and UCSD.

I'm super worried and just wanted some input as to my prospects and advice. Thanks!

Edited by ctaylor152478

Your language skills are good. I recommend doing a masters to work on languages for a couple more years—maybe HDS? Also might want to study some French and German for reading as well.

But overall good to see you are taking languages seriously. 

Edited by Averroes MD

• 4 weeks later...

Your GREs are fine, but I would second the reccomendation for a Master's or at least additional language work. You may want to look at Indiana for that kind of work as well -- I don't know about its Eurasian Studies program, but the Religious Studies M.A. has very strong placement and does have opportunities for studying Tibetan, Chinese, and other East/Central Asian languages. Plus, they have their very strong summer language school!

Edited by Pierre de Olivi