Spanish/Hispanic Studies Fall 2019 Applications

Ciboney

Since December-January are the deadline months to apply to most graduate programs for the Fall Semester, I decided to start this topic. I am applying to several programs and want to see if those in the same boat can share news or advice  about the process. Including news about their experiences. 

Edited by Ciboney

hi Zsayre. I applied to Michigan as well. I found out that, sometimes, Michigan's Department of Romance Languages has contacted applicants in late January! I also applied to Illinois-Urbana, Madison-Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Emory. Still working on three others that depend on "cash flow" for the fees. Michigan is very tough, but a strong program. I originally wanted to start with an MA program, but they only accept PhD students; the MA is granted incidentally, en route. I do not have much hope for this one, to be honest, but gave it a try. Only about a week and a half left for the other ones I am applying to: Colorado-Boulder, Maryland-College Park, and Pittsburgh. Did you know that, according to Rackham Grad School statistics, Romance Languages accept about 10 students out of a pool of about 50?

Edited by Ciboney

10 out of 50? Wow, that's not too bad! Most PhD programs accept 4-6 students so I have to say that raised my hopes up, so don't lose hope! I could only apply to one place as my country's currency took a drastic downfall this year so an application costs me way too much. Michigan is my dream school so I went for it, and the Spanish program there indeed looks amazing.

I will let you know when I hear from them since I intend to keep the "conversation" open until April or so. It can go either way. Don't get disappointed if you do not make it to Michigan! The candidates are very competitive and the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in general is among the top 15 in the world according to those ridiculous 6 or 7 rankings that are around. And decisions are quite subjective and based on many factors, not just grades or writing samples, etc. 

Zsayre... Are you in linguistics or literature? That is important too. Sometimes a program admits in one of the two areas more than in the other, from what I have seen since I started researching this. I am in literature; that is why I am not particularly hopeful regarding a couple of places. 

ALSO: So that you can apply to others (but you better hurry!) Check for fee waivers in SOME graduate schools like this one: "

To qualify for this waiver, we expect you to fit the U.S Department of Education definition of “low income." Click here to view federal levels

International applicants are eligible for this fee waive". This one is from Emory University, although their deadline for Hispanic Studies is past due. But others might have that for international students too. Usually non-US citizens are not eligible. 

Hey Ciboney, thanks for the suggestion! Will check it out and if I can get a waiver I will apply to some for sure. My project is more sociological (as the dept. at Michigan is very interdisciplinary and I have an MA in Cultural Studies) but I have a lit. background so I am planning on working on Latin American lit. as a secondary interest. I will let you know if I hear from them, too.  

Information for applicants: beware of funding packages for graduate students in many programs. I just found out that "full tuition" as part of the "full funding" (normally with health insurance) does NOT include "university feees" or "students' fees". The "fully funded" students are responsible for those. Student fees can amount to US$2,000-3,000 PER SEMESTER in some institutions that I have applied to. Take THAT into consideration. Thank God --so to speak-- that one program was very clear about that important issue in their information in the Internet! 

• 2 weeks later...

First result: rejected at Emory U for Interdisciplinary Hispanic Studies PhD. A bit surprised, given my credentials, but relieved because I did not want to live in Atlanta and I was not entirely convinced the program was a good fit for me compared to others. Actually, it was in the bottom of my list after I applied to all the programs. Rejected by email on January 18. 

2 hours ago, Ceci2019 said:

Hey! I applied to Columbia, NYU and Princeton Spanish grad programs, and some others, but haven't heard from any of them yet. When do they normally call for interviews?

I think that now, around the end of January, from what I have read. None of those programs are on my list though. And I do not know of any interview so far from anyone. 

On 1/13/2019 at 10:30 PM, Saluh said:

Hi there! Also applied to Spanish programs for the next fall. I sent applications to U Michigan, USC, Washington University in St. Louis, UT Austin and UVA. Hope we hear from them soon!

Hi, Saluh! I had not checked the thread in a while and I had not seen your post. Michigan, Ann Arbor is on my list; the others are not. Michigan-Ann Arbor is highly regarded and highly ranked. (2010 ranking of doctoral programs). Strong program and the campus is gorgeous, from all that I have seen (that Law School area is amazing!). Location is an asset too. I do not have much hope to get admitted by that program though. 

On 1/19/2019 at 1:30 PM, zsayre said:

Do most schools usually hold interviews? I mean I am not able to travel to the US so I guess it would be via Skype or something?

No, most grad programs in languages/cultures/linguistics do not; but some do, from what I have read. I think only two in my list do, Northwestern and Emory. However, the fact that some programs do not usually have interviews does not mean that a professor can call you and schedule one as well. It depends on how much interest they might have on you or that they want clarification on something in your application. Most interviews are by phone, if they do take place. Let us know if they ask for an interview! ?

I applied to 9 programs and no one interviewed me. I ended up going to a tier-1 public research university. The most important aspect of the application, at least for me anyway, was research fit with a professor who was on the admission committee. That was just dumb luck, I had no idea what I was doing. Other than that, the written material you submit, like SOP and writing samples, are also important. The GRE and GPA I don't think are that important, more like technicalities. The application deadline for the program I joined was in December and I was officially accepted in Februrary (If I recall correctly), but a professor let me know via email in January. That professor became my MA chair and is now my PhD chair. Good luck to everyone.

3 hours ago, xolo said:

I applied to 9 programs and no one interviewed me. I ended up going to a tier-1 public research university. The most important aspect of the application, at least for me anyway, was research fit with a professor who was on the admission committee. That was just dumb luck, I had no idea what I was doing. Other than that, the written material you submit, like SOP and writing samples, are also important. The GRE and GPA I don't think are that important, more like technicalities. The application deadline for the program I joined was in December and I was officially accepted in Februrary (If I recall correctly), but a professor let me know via email in January. That professor became my MA chair and is now my PhD chair. Good luck to everyone.

Good! Thanks for the good wishes!

"Just received good news from Michigan ? accepted w/funding for 5 years!" Congrats, Saluh. They rejected me, yesterday. Sincere congratulations if you choose to go. I thought that it was a good program for me. Others I applied to, I was not so sure. Besides the excellent reputation of the university as a whole, the location is excellent. I am still waiting to hear from others. Already rejected from the one that was at the bottom of the list (preference, good overall fit). Wish me luck! ?

Edited by Ciboney

Hello everyone, 

I recently encountered this forum and just want to say good luck to all future Spanish/Romance language Ph.D. candidates!!!

As someone going through this waiting game, I feel your pain if you haven't been accepted yet.  

6 hours ago, gonza said:

Hello everyone, 

I recently encountered this forum and just want to say good luck to all future Spanish/Romance language Ph.D. candidates!!!

As someone going through this waiting game, I feel your pain if you haven't been accepted yet.  

Thanks, Gonza! I have dealt with two rejections so far and I have weeks of waiting for the other five applications. Where did you apply to, if you do not mind sharing the info? Besides the two rejections already on the thread here, my other applications were: Colorado at Boulder, Northwestern, Wisconsin at Madison, Maryland at College Park, and Pittsburgh. 

15 hours ago, Ciboney said:

Thanks, Gonza! I have dealt with two rejections so far and I have weeks of waiting for the other five applications. Where did you apply to, if you do not mind sharing the info? Besides the two rejections already on the thread here, my other applications were: Colorado at Boulder, Northwestern, Wisconsin at Madison, Maryland at College Park, and Pittsburgh. 

Hi Ciboney, 

Those schools are very solid choices for engaging in research, good luck!

As for my schools, I decided to go with a couple of Ivies, Vanderbilt and Berkeley.