Transferring between MSW programs?

doctormelody

Hello all. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about the advisability/feasibility of transferring between MSW programs? I know I'm jumping the gun a little since I haven't even been admitted yet but the only program I have applied to is in my current city and... yikes. I don't know how to say this without sounding mean, but I just moved here in August and I really do not like it here. It's a shame because the program here seems amazing, but I don't know if I can take 2 and 1/2 more years of this. My partner thinks I am insane and is upset with me for even bringing it up, but I just can't get this idea out of my head. The thing is, it wouldn't make sense to transfer to a less well-regarded program, which leaves me with limited options. I also fear alienating my professors and potential advisers if I apply to transfer but then decide to stay. Has anyone here gone through this process? Are any of you already attending an MSW program but intending to transfer? I know the most logical thing to do would be to simply apply to more programs for this year, but as my partner pointed out, we almost certainly can't afford to move again in August and if he gets a job here in the next 6 months it would be so unfair to ask him to leave. Also, I can't handle asking my references for any more recommendations this year. Idk if any of you have seen my previous threads/freak-outs, but that was a f***ing odyssey. However, the prospect of applying to grad school for the third year in a row, even if I am already attending, also strikes me as pretty bleak!

Thoughts? Do I just need to put my big girl pants on and accept that even if this isn't my ideal place to live, it's not forever? The other point that my boyfriend made is that I may not even be happier someplace else since the two of the other cities with similarly-ranked MSW programs are also in the Midwest, which I apparently despise! Who knew! (I knew. Even though I had hardly ever been here. I knew.)

I am reading a lot of "cons" to transferring in your post; you may have already answered your own question.

I would stick it out and remain open to your prospective program. Don't try to find a way out before you are even admitted. Your world tends to get smaller in graduate school anyway, and you may enjoy your program and cohort enough to transcend your distaste for the location. I completed my program in a city I wasn't particularly happy in, but the two years go by quick and I had a job waiting for me in my city of choice when I graduated. 

1 hour ago, briefinterviews said:

I am reading a lot of "cons" to transferring in your post; you may have already answered your own question.

I would stick it out and remain open to your prospective program. Don't try to find a way out before you are even admitted. Your world tends to get smaller in graduate school anyway, and you may enjoy your program and cohort enough to transcend your distaste for the location. I completed my program in a city I wasn't particularly happy in, but the two years go by quick and I had a job waiting for me in my city of choice when I graduated. 

Thank you so much for your reply! I think you are right. I know that things will improve once I start school, and I think that the combined effect of my tendency to second-guess myself and the negative impacts of my current job on my mental health just really did a number on me today. I was thinking of it as 2 1/2 years of drudgery, but really, it's only 8 months. It's just hard because I really want to be in school already and I hate feeling like I'm wasting a year of my life. But none of that has to do with the program or even the city, really, and I think you are absolutely right that I should try my best to go into this program with an open mind even if the location is less than ideal. 

Anyway, thanks again for the great advice. I'm feeling much better now.

Bumping this thread because I am questioning myself again and also I’m just curious - does anyone have any experience with transferring between MSW programs? Do recommend it? What were the circumstances that led you to transfer - or even to consider transferring, if you ultimately decided against it?