Do I stand a chance of getting into a MSW program?

Dcotton4

Question

I submitted my application for graduate school in the beginning of December. I applied to the Ohio State Univeristy and they are rolling admissions, so I should be hearing back within a week or so. 

However, I am very nervous. I want to feel like I’m good enough to get into the program but I’m just not sure. I have my bachelors in psychology. My GPA in undergrad was a 3.026 and 3.025 (I didn’t have to take the GRE because of this). While I was in undergrad, I didn’t have any experience whatsoever. No internships, organizations or volunteer work. Not having any experience is what is making me doubtful. I know most msw programs like experience, but do I stand a chance of getting accepted without any? I feel like I can gain experience in grad school. Is anyone else in my shoes or have gotten into any grad programs with ZERO experience?  

2 answers to this question

What did you do while in undergrad if you didn't volunteer or have an internship? Your GPA is not high, so you don't have the excuse of saying you spent all of your time on coursework. Did you have a job? Were there mitigating circumstances?

Honestly, you are probably worrying too much - I got into three MSW programs last year and was waitlisted at another with a 3.5 GPA and almost no relevant experience. However, I did volunteer some in undergrad and I've been working since I graduated. It is definitely going to look strange to not have any experience doing, well, anything, which I feel like is not what you meant, but you also haven't given us enough info to say one way or the other really.

I applied to 4 Canadian MSW programs last year with around 1000 hours and pretty solid grades and wasn't accepted. I talked to a few admissions people afterwards and they all said I didn't have enough experience. I know Carleton requires 3500 hours to apply, and usually the average applicant is 2+ years out of their undergrad (meaning they likely have 2 years of experience). 

If you think you've got the grades and the funds to apply, go for it. It's good experience to even apply, the applications are a lot of work, but it'll make it less stressful for when/if you apply in upcoming years.