Applying to Engineering Masters 8 years after Bachelors

oldMEapplicant

Question

Hello,

I am looking to apply to mechanical engineering masters programs for the spring of 2020. I graduated magna cum laude with a 3.7 from an average school in 2012.

When I was in undergrad I did not even consider graduate school, and never got any research experience.  I also did not form any relationships with professors for LOR, and after this length of time I'm sure they do not remember me.

As I am preparing to apply to programs I am wondering how much of a disadvantage I will be at because of this? I have significant relevant experience/responsibility having worked for a consulting engineering firm for the past 7 years, and I am professionally licensed in several states. I will not have any trouble getting LOR, but they will have to come from clients, other professional engineers, etc. 

Should I just use my SOP to focus on my work experience and how I believe it makes me a stronger candidate? And should I bother applying to more competitive schools where I may meet the gpa/gre reqs or do I need to focus on lower tier schools because my application will be lacking?

Thank you for your help

1 answer to this question

On 1/5/2019 at 8:37 AM, oldMEapplicant said:

Hello,

I am looking to apply to mechanical engineering masters programs for the spring of 2020. I graduated magna cum laude with a 3.7 from an average school in 2012.

When I was in undergrad I did not even consider graduate school, and never got any research experience.  I also did not form any relationships with professors for LOR, and after this length of time I'm sure they do not remember me.

As I am preparing to apply to programs I am wondering how much of a disadvantage I will be at because of this? I have significant relevant experience/responsibility having worked for a consulting engineering firm for the past 7 years, and I am professionally licensed in several states. I will not have any trouble getting LOR, but they will have to come from clients, other professional engineers, etc.  

Should I just use my SOP to focus on my work experience and how I believe it makes me a stronger candidate? And should I bother applying to more competitive schools where I may meet the gpa/gre reqs or do I need to focus on lower tier schools because my application will be lacking?

Thank you for your help 

I don't think LORs from industry will necessarily disqualify you from "top-tier" schools. If your GPA/GRE stats meet top-tier requirements, why not throw in a couple of reach schools in your applications? Definitely those with research experiences and LORs from research professors will have an edge, but if you can make a case on how your industrial experiences segue into a research career, I wouldn't say that your chances are nil. Still worth a try. Just my two cents.