NSF GRFP after Masters +1

heuristicSystems

I'm enrolled in a joint BS/MS program but, due to university policy, I receive my B.S. degree this semester, and then my M.S. next year (called "Masters PlusOne" on my transcript).

How does this effect my eligibility for the NSF GRFP? I see on the FAQ that there are different rules for BS/MS programs but I'm a bit confused by them. Should I wait until I'm enrolled in a PhD program to apply, since it seems like I only have 1 shot?

And, if I'm not eligible to apply, I've seen some alternatives--like the NDSEG and the Hertz fellowships. Does anyone have a more comprehensive (or at least longer) list of alternative fellowships somewhere?

First time posting, so please let me know if this isn't the right place! Thanks! :)

Edited by heuristicSystems
Clarified eligibility

11 hours ago, heuristicSystems said:

How does this effect my eligibility for the NSF GRFP?

How do the eligibility rules apply to individuals in joint bachelor's-master's programs?

Individuals in this category applying in the 2019 competition (Fall 2018 deadline) will have one more opportunity to apply as first-year doctoral students in the 2020 competition (Fall 2019 deadline). Effective with the 2020 competition (Fall 2019 deadline), individuals pursuing a master's degree simultaneously with the bachelor's degree (joint bachelor's-master's degree) will be considered to be graduate students and will be limited to one application to GRFP; they will not be eligible to apply again as a doctoral degree student.

What if I previously applied in the final year of my joint bachelor's-master's program? Under the one-time rule for graduate student applicants, am I still eligible to apply in the first year of my Ph.D. program?

Yes, but only in the 2019 competition (Fall 2018 deadline). Effective with the 2020 competition (Fall 2019 deadline), individuals who have earned a joint bachelor's-master's degree will not be eligible to apply again as a doctoral degree student.

I have completed more than one academic year of graduate study. Are there any circumstances in which I could be eligible?

Possibly. Individuals who have completed more than one academic year in a degree-granting program, who have earned a previous master's degree of any kind (including bachelor's-master's degree), or who have earned a professional degree (e.g., law, medicine), are eligible only if they have had a continuous interruption in graduate study of at least two consecutive years immediately prior to the application deadline and are not enrolled in a degree-granting graduate program at the application deadline. This means that you cannot already be enrolled in graduate school at the time of the application deadline. You must address the reasons for the interruption in graduate study in your Personal, Relevant Background and Future Goals Statement. See the GRFP Program Solicitation for detailed eligibility requirements.

What if I previously earned a joint bachelor's-master's degree?

For the 2019 competition (Fall 2018) only, you are eligible to apply as a first-year doctoral student. Effective with the 2020 competition (Fall 2019 deadline), your joint degree will be counted as a master's degree, so you would be ineligible unless you meet the interruption category described above.

----------------------

Soooooo, all of this is kind of confusing. However, I think I know what it is saying with all of these. A definite fact is that you can only apply once as a graduate student. I feel like there is change from this year's competition (2018 deadline) for next year's (2019 deadline). I believe that you will only get to apply once if you are in a joint BS/MS program. If you apply next year while still in this program, then you won't be able to apply the following year (2020 deadline) when you are a doctoral student since you will be considered a graduate student while doing your joint degree. I honestly don't know why it is changing next year, but this is what is seems like. However, if you wait two years after getting your joint degree, then you can apply when you get your doctorate. I hope that makes sense.

12 hours ago, heuristicSystems said:

Does anyone have a more comprehensive (or at least longer) list of alternative fellowships somewhere?