Anyone familiar with the Math Dept of Austin?

I applied two PhD programs of UT-Austin: the mathematics program and the CSEM program. The former has given me an offer as Teaching Assistant while the application result of the latter hasn't come out. I think the CSEM program is a better choice for applied math student such as me. However, a professor from the Math Dept of Austin emails me and tells me that I can still study applied math within the mathematics program. Is anybody here familiar with the math program of Austin? I need your advice! Thanks a lot!

You should check the requirements (qualifying, preliminary exams, and coursework) of the two programs and decide.

I applied two PhD programs of UT-Austin: the mathematics program and the CSEM program. The former has given me an offer as Teaching Assistant while the application result of the latter hasn't come out. I think the CSEM program is a better choice for applied math student such as me. However, a professor from the Math Dept of Austin emails me and tells me that I can still study applied math within the mathematics program. Is anybody here familiar with the math program of Austin? I need your advice! Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

Just going by the websites, it looks like the math dept at UT Austin includes applied math, while CSEM is an interdisciplinary program between the math dept and some other departments that specifically aims to foster collaboration between them (so the math professors there are actually still a part of the math dept proper). It also sounds like CSEM is tougher to get into. You should probably check out the work being done in each and then you can judge what kind of fit they might be for you. If you can get into the CSEM program that sounds really great, but if not UT Austin math definitely has a very good reputation (although I don't know anything about how strong it is specifically in applied math). You might also try emailing the math department and explain your situation and ask them what they advise. I'm sure they would be happy to discuss it with you.

Edited by kroner