Interviewing at current institution-- need advice

apex45

Has anyone ever interviewed with a POI or department that they already know very well? I've been invited to an all-day interview for a PhD program with the department I'm currently doing my MS in and don't know what to expect or how to conduct myself in this situation. My main POI knows me very well already (and wrote me a rec letter), and my secondary POIs, the department head, etc. already know me to some degree as well.

Also, any tips for questions I could ask in interviews? I'm having trouble coming up with authentic ones since I already know people's research, the climate of the department, etc. well

You could ask questions centered around your application: Do you have any hesitations about my application for the PhD program? How do you think I would be able to improve my work/abilities in the PhD program vs the MS program? Etc. Since they know you already know the department well this would show that you're actively engaged with this process instead of applying to your current school as a "fall back."

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm in a similar position (applying for same POI that I already worked with, have taken some classes with the PhD students in that program, had a lot of the same professors). 

I have been talking to a few people and a couple of ideas came up:

• Assuming they know your work pretty well, ask about areas you can seek to improve
  • Field dependent: Explaining why you would like to complete a PhD despite having a masters (so the evolution in your goals if it isn't obvious between what careers MS and PhD have access to)
  • More details about the direction your POI sees your lab going in and ways they are hoping new PhD students can contribute.

Let me know if you have any more ideas, it's definitely a weird scenario.