MSW Personal Statements

Ashley_msw_ny

Hi everyone, 

I am planning on applying to MSW programs at Columbia, Hunter, NYU, UCLA, etc. for Spring 2020 which means I will have to submit my applications before the deadlines which are in early October. When do you all suggest I start working on my personal statements? 

Depends on how much editing/how polished you want them to be.  Once you've written out a rough draft - which I would say could take a week to do per essay - you are going to want to have others read over it and help you edit.  Check with your university to see if they have writing labs that can help you with that.  If you want your essays to be done by early October, I would say to start them in August, or even earlier if you are applying to a lot of schools.  A lot of your essays will be able to transfer into others that require the same information, but sometimes they will ask for it in a different format, or to go into detail on a different aspect of your life and experience.  Before you even begin writing your statements, familiarize yourself with the prompts/required sections.  It helps to have your resume made up ahead of time to look at while you're writing about all the different kinds of service and experience you have.  If I were you, I would try to have my rough drafts done by the beginning of September and then get help editing and clarifying your statements.  That timeline will help you get them done without stressing yourself out right before the deadline. 

9 minutes ago, miler95 said:

Depends on how much editing/how polished you want them to be.  Once you've written out a rough draft - which I would say could take a week to do per essay - you are going to want to have others read over it and help you edit.  Check with your university to see if they have writing labs that can help you with that.  If you want your essays to be done by early October, I would say to start them in August, or even earlier if you are applying to a lot of schools.  A lot of your essays will be able to transfer into others that require the same information, but sometimes they will ask for it in a different format, or to go into detail on a different aspect of your life and experience.  Before you even begin writing your statements, familiarize yourself with the prompts/required sections.  It helps to have your resume made up ahead of time to look at while you're writing about all the different kinds of service and experience you have.  If I were you, I would try to have my rough drafts done by the beginning of September and then get help editing and clarifying your statements.  That timeline will help you get them done without stressing yourself out right before the deadline. 

Thanks!! Really helpful suggestions! I'm actually thinking about starting them right now, but I'm worried it's a bit too early. What do you think?

Do you have any idea on whether or not 16 month accelerated programs are more competitive to get into versus traditional two year programs? 

I'm not familiar with the number of people applying to accelerated programs vs. traditional.  I think that traditional will have the largest pool of applicants, but an accelerated program might have only those who are most prepared and competitive.  It will also vary with the school that you are applying to.

There's no reason you couldn't start your personal statements right now.  The only way I could see that hurting you is if you spend too much time editing and changing things and lose your voice in the process.  Admissions are looking to hear why YOU will fit their program and be successful, so letting your personality show through your writing is important.