MA/MPA/MPP/Master's funding

Paradoxex22

Greetings,

The other thread seemed more targeted toward PhD funding, so I figured I'd parse out master's funding packages. I'm only semi-knowledgeable on this front, but my impression is that while the acceptance rate of master's programs is typically higher than doctoral ones, the rate and % of funding is typically nowhere near as high. Is this true?

As acceptances start to roll in, I'd just like to hear what is typical, and what people are expecting/receiving.

Thanks!

That's how it was in my masters program. MA's rec'd $9000/year and Ph.D's $12000/year (this was in the social sciences, but, yeah, it is still kind of crappy). In my cohort (about 25, MA and Ph.D mixed), only one incoming student got the MA assistantship (me) while another received a Latin American scholarship; two Ph.D.'s received assistantships. During the second semester of our first year, 2 additional Ph.D.'s were given adjunct teaching positions. It was the same the following year, with only one MA getting an assistantship.

I don't know if this is typical though, because most of the schools that I have looked at for my Ph.D., offered it to most, if not all, incoming students. They were, however, much more selective.

Just as a comparison, of the other four schools that I applied to for my MA, one offered a $5000/year scholarship (no duties; with tuition waiver) and the others offered nothing.

I don't know what your field is, but I hope that helps.

I got a really weird e-mail from Harvard's East Asia program.

Sometime in early Feb. they sent out a notice that those students contacted had made it past the "financial blind" portion of the selection process, though they were not yet admitted. Additionally, the e-mail announced the program had no money for anybody, and that any potential students, if they could support themselves, should e-mail the program and let them know right away. The e-mail also mentioned that GSAS was strongly discouraged from admitting students without outside scholarship. So, even before I was accepted I was well aware there was no money to be had. Discouraging, too, considering the costs.

I guess Canadian schools must be different on this front; in general, you require a master's degree to enter into a PhD program in Canada. That being said, pretty much every single master's student I know in Canada receives funding in the way of scholarships and/or TA or RA positions. I applied to mostly MLIS programs, and those don't offer RA/TA funding since there isn't research in the same context nor is there an undergraduate equivalent. There are however plenty of scholarships from the government and schools for those degrees. I did apply to one one-year MA program, and got in with a $3,000 scholarship and a $10,000 8-month TAship. No funding would be the exception and not the norm here.

I guess Canadian schools must be different on this front; in general, you require a master's degree to enter into a PhD program in Canada. That being said, pretty much every single master's student I know in Canada receives funding in the way of scholarships and/or TA or RA positions. I applied to mostly MLIS programs, and those don't offer RA/TA funding since there isn't research in the same context nor is there an undergraduate equivalent. There are however plenty of scholarships from the government and schools for those degrees. I did apply to one one-year MA program, and got in with a $3,000 scholarship and a $10,000 8-month TAship. No funding would be the exception and not the norm here.

Canadian schools are also public and a lot cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

I got accepted to all of the schools I applied to in early February but I still have not heard about funding. My top two schools said they would make decisions by mid-March, and here we are. Is anyone else in the same boat? It is driving me crazy. I emailed my top school yesterday and they said that they were making decisions now and would let me know something on Monday or Tuesday. What does that even mean?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a general question for everybody: what is reasonable to expect for funding in a terminal Master's program? I've received a 50% scholarship at a school I'm fairly excited about, but I keep reading about people who get full tuition and even full tuition + stipend for the MPA/MPP. It makes me think, damn, I'm not getting the best deal here. It makes me feel only moderately wanted. I want to be wanted a LOT. :|

Anyway, what have you expected from your funding? Should I be grateful for what I've got?

Here's a general question for everybody: what is reasonable to expect for funding in a terminal Master's program? I've received a 50% scholarship at a school I'm fairly excited about, but I keep reading about people who get full tuition and even full tuition + stipend for the MPA/MPP. It makes me think, damn, I'm not getting the best deal here. It makes me feel only moderately wanted. I want to be wanted a LOT. :|

Anyway, what have you expected from your funding? Should I be grateful for what I've got?

I have felt the same way in the past about the amound of funding people on these boards have received. However, I do know that overall, MPA students do not receieve as much funding as a PhD candidate would. I receieved an out of state tuition waiver and I was thrilled about it. Although it would be nice to have full tuition covered and a stipend, I accept the fact that most schools (not all) do not fund a majority of their MPA students.

A 50% tuition scholarship is great! If you are still bummed though, just understand that there are plenty of opportunities to get funding once you have entered the program. Other departments or offices at your school will undoubtedly be seeking grad assistants.

I think it can depend on whether the department offers a PhD program as well. PhD students will have priority when it comes to funding. When I entered my MA program in the social sciences, my whole cohort (6) received assistantships (full tuition and 12k stipend). This was before there was a PhD offered. I get the feeling now that the department is offering a PhD that this may change depending on the number of incoming PhD students. I think it would also depend on the department's relationship with the university. Those departments that bring in the money and have a favorable standing are usually the ones which get the money to fund students.