How to decide a field for Ph.D study?

Brown_Bear

Question

Hello everyone,

I am currently attending a public university where my Major is English, and have done really well in classes for this major. I am interested in graduate school, likely a Ph.D program, but am not exactly sure if this field is something I want to pursue. I've read about how some people can do Graduate work in different fields from their undergraduate years, but I am unsure of the overall process of deciding on a specific field of focus. I know that there are some other fields (History / Anthropology / Religion) that seem distantly related to English, and may even be appealing. For students who are currently in Ph.D programs, how did you decide what you specifically wanted to study? Did you find various programs that piqued your interest? As well, is it viable to study something else, and what may the pros or cons be to this?

Thank you very much!

6 answers to this question

You can absolutely transition into a different field if you want. The writing and critical thinking skills you develop as an English major will carry over. A lot of times, they just want to see that you've taken some core classes. And if you're still attending, you can make sure you get those done before you graduate.

As far as what to study, it all depends on what you're passionate about. A. What do you want to do as a career? A PhD is still a stepping stone to a career. So make sure you actually need a PhD for whatever it is you want to do. B. What do you find interesting enough to study in depth for 5-7 years? 

1 hour ago, placeinspace said:

Most PhDs require that you have taken a certain number of credits in that field before you can apply, so unless you've taken a lot of history or anthropology courses as an English major, you might have a hard time finding a program outside of English that would consider you.

Indeed, this is something that I am trying to keep in mind. As well, I would like to be careful not to apply to something that I wind up unqualified for.

1 hour ago, Hk328 said:

You can absolutely transition into a different field if you want. The writing and critical thinking skills you develop as an English major will carry over. A lot of times, they just want to see that you've taken some core classes. And if you're still attending, you can make sure you get those done before you graduate.

As far as what to study, it all depends on what you're passionate about. A. What do you want to do as a career? A PhD is still a stepping stone to a career. So make sure you actually need a PhD for whatever it is you want to do. B. What do you find interesting enough to study in depth for 5-7 years? 

I agree. I think that these are important questions to consider, especially your B. one regarding what I want to study in depth. I do have some classes left, and am trying to coordinate it so that I have the chance to take things in other fields, maybe sparking interest for me.

Definitely make sure you sure you select a field you're passionate about, graduate work is an intense experience and PhDs in particular take a lot of time to complete. I would recommend you start thinking about a career/s you can see yourself in for the rest of your life and then decide if that career requires a graduate degree. The decision to pursue a PhD isn't one that should be taken lightly and if you don't love your field it probably isn't worth it.

Have you looked into Master's degrees? This might be a strong option for you especially if you're looking to change fields. You would get experience in the field, see what graduate study is like and not have to  commit to 4-5 years of a field/program that doesn't turn out to be the right fit for you. If you decide you want a PhD after this there are many programs that would grant you advanced standing due to the work you have already completed.

1 hour ago, CN0rd said:

Definitely make sure you sure you select a field you're passionate about, graduate work is an intense experience and PhDs in particular take a lot of time to complete. I would recommend you start thinking about a career/s you can see yourself in for the rest of your life and then decide if that career requires a graduate degree. The decision to pursue a PhD isn't one that should be taken lightly and if you don't love your field it probably isn't worth it.

Have you looked into Master's degrees? This might be a strong option for you especially if you're looking to change fields. You would get experience in the field, see what graduate study is like and not have to  commit to 4-5 years of a field/program that doesn't turn out to be the right fit for you. If you decide you want a PhD after this there are many programs that would grant you advanced standing due to the work you have already completed.

Thank you, for your response. I have long heard that you must have some passion for the field you choose. Additionally, I've looked not much into Master's degrees, but can certainly take the notion seriously. It does seem advantageous, in some respects, to get a Master's before a Ph.D.