Writing a recommendation letter for your professor

Hi all,

I was asked to write a recommendation letter for my MA advisor. It's for her promotion from an associate to a full professor. I know this is a very critical stage in her career so I want to do my best. I've only known her for a few months so I don't have a lot to say, but I'll write whatever I can based on what I know/have experienced. 

I was wondering whether anyone has any tips?? Not sure where to start.

Thank you!!

@Rey38 I have had to write a letter of recommendation for one of my professors for an award he applied to, so I hope I can provide some help! I talked about how I became acquainted with him. He runs this summer program where I was able to conduct research overseas. I talked about the program and the specific parts of the programs he runs and how he helped the participants of the program (he traveled with us to Australia and stayed with us to make sure we were acclimated before leaving, etc). I then talked about how this program helped me academically and professionally.

So, you definitely want to gear the letter towards your experiences with your MA advisor. How has she helped you academically? How has she helped you professionally and personally? Has she helped anyone else that you know? Describe this. Were you given specific qualifications that she needs to embody to become a full professor? If so, discuss how she embodies them? If not, I would ask her if there anything she could suggest to you. Does she do any side projects/outreach/volunteer opportunities related to her work at the university? If so, talk about those.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Edited by Moods

13 minutes ago, Moods said:

@Rey38 I have had to write a letter of recommendation for one of my professors for an award he applied to, so I hope I can provide some help! I talked about how I became acquainted with him. He runs this summer program where I was able to conduct research overseas. I talked about the program and the specific parts of the programs he runs and how he helped the participants of the program (he traveled with us to Australia and stayed with us to make sure we were acclimated before leaving, etc). I then talked about how this program helped me academically and professionally.

So, you definitely want to gear the letter towards your experiences with your MA advisor. How has she helped you academically? How has she helped you professionally and personally? Has she helped anyone else that you know? Describe this. Were you given specific qualifications that she needs to embody to become a full professor? If so, discuss how she embodies them? If not, I would ask her if there anything she could suggest to you. Does she do any side projects/outreach/volunteer opportunities related to her work at the university? If so, talk about those.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

That's very helpful! Thanks so much :) How long was the letter you wrote for your professor? I wonder how long mine should be. I didn't know it was okay to ask the professor if there's anything she would suggest mentioning in the letter, but that might be a good idea. 

11 hours ago, Rey38 said:

That's very helpful! Thanks so much :) How long was the letter you wrote for your professor? I wonder how long mine should be. I didn't know it was okay to ask the professor if there's anything she would suggest mentioning in the letter, but that might be a good idea. 

No problem! The letter was a page long. I think a little longer than that is okay, but making it too long could be bad. You could ask if there is anything in particular she would like you to mention in the letter. I know students sometimes tell teachers specific things they would like to have mentioned in their recommendations and/or teachers ask students for help them out while writing letters for the students.