Statistics PhD application profile

JDStat

Hello,

Would I be considered as a strong candidate for a PhD in Statistics program at a prestigious institution?

Below are my profile:

Undergrad (Statistics) GPA: 4.00 / 4.00

Master's program (Statistics) GPA: 4.00/4.00

Work Experience: 1 year of full time work experience as a Statistical Research Assistant at a business department, 3 years of experience as a educational statistician at a local university.

Letters of Reference: Strong letter of reference from my undergrad professor. Not 100% sure about the letter from the professor from my Master's program (but my guess is that the letter is fairly strong); a good letter of reference from the business professor that I worked as a RA for.

Publication: None; my Master's degree is course-based.

What I am worried about: I took a reduced course load during my undergrad, and I have only been taking 1 or 2 courses per term during my Master's program (due to concurrent employment). The employment that I have right now in the midst of my Master's program is not Statistics-related. Some jobs that I have had during my undergrad are also not Statistics-Related. Wondering if the committee will raise their eyebrows because I only took few courses each term. Did mention in my PhD application form that I have concurrently held jobs during my undergrad/ grad studies, but on my CV I only listed my Statistics-related work experience.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

You haven't included the University you attended or your math background, which are two of the most important pieces of information. If you have real analysis and went to Harvard, you're gold.  If you only have taken linear algebra and went to directional State University, that's a totally different story.

1 hour ago, bayessays said:

You haven't included the University you attended or your math background, which are two of the most important pieces of information. If you have real analysis and went to Harvard, you're gold.  If you only have taken linear algebra and went to directional State University, that's a totally different story.

I did my BSc at University of Alberta, which is one of the top 5 school in Canada. I have 2 semesters of Mathematical Statistics, 1 semester of Real analysis, 4 semesters of Calculus, 2 semesters of Linear Algebra, 1 course in sampling Techniques, 1 course in design and Analysis of Experiments, 1 course in Statistical Data Mining, 1 CS course, 1 course in industrial statistics and 2 Applied Statistical method sequence courses from my undergrad.

i am finishing up my Master’s degree in Statistics at North Carolina State University, I have 2 semesters of Statistical Inference, 2semesters of Statistical Methods, 1 semester of time series, 1 semester of Statistical learning, 1 Bayesian statistics from my course based Master’s

10 hours ago, bayessays said:

Then yes, you will be in good shape to get into a top 25 school. Nobody will care about the course loads.  Ask your professors at NC State, you have a very valuable resource there. 

Thank you! I hope I get in