Variety in Prospects - Exciting flexiblity or potential identity crisis???

llgecir43

Hi all, I am a retail and economic geographer and I'm wrapping up my PhD applications for next Fall. I didn't apply to many programs, but the ones I'm applying to are really really disparate: 

Applied Economics PhD - Missouri
Geography PhD - Toronto
Business PhD - Dublin

Obviously, quantitative economic geography is a pretty niched and tiny field that sits at an intersection of some broader fields. I picked these programs because the advisors were doing work that fit my interests well in spite of the fact that they all teach in different departments and reside in different academic/professional ecosystems. The differences in these programs culturally, academically and professionally have me worried about how I'm branding myself. Do I want to be perceived as an economist, a geographer or a business scholar? Has anyone else been in this situation? Did you find yourself with prospective advisors that were all great fits that all came from very different worlds? What due dilligence do you recommend here so I can make the most informed decision if I'm accepted? I'm guessing visiting these places is really the safest bet. Any input is so appreciated!

@llgecir43

I'm in a similar situation. I'm interested in power & participation related to environmental governance. Also a niche topic that intersects many disciplines. I applied to 6 PhD programs, all from varying departments... 

• PhD Geography - Wisconsin, Madison
  • PhD Geography - UT Austin
  • PhD Environmental Policy - Duke
  • PhD International Relations - American
  • PhD Behavioral Policy, Environment & Sustainability - Michigan
  • PhD Geography - British Columbia

To me, it's largely dependent on your career aspirations and advisors. I would like to remain in academia afterward. With this in mind, and with an interdisciplinary interest, I saw the individual program as less important. With a good advisor and strong research performance, I'm fairly confident that I will be competitive in many different academic departments - environmental management, geography, international relations, public policy, sociology, anthropology, etc. A lot of these departments hire from varying disciplines, especially if their background and research align with interests. I have taken some time to visit future dream schools and dream departments I'd want to teach to look at the credentials of current professors - this has been helpful in easing my mind. Their PhDs and research topics are all over the place. If you want to teach afterward, maybe do the same? If you want to go professional, perhaps go look at staff at your ideal companies and see what their PhDs are in? If they vary wildly, then you're probably safe no matter what and can pick the one that feels most 'right'. 

For your particular interest in quant/econ/geography, I don't think business vs economics vs geography will matter all that much. This is just my opinion. With a PhD you will be able to customize your coursework to fit your needs and desires, and will probably get to take coursework across departments if you want. Pick a good advisor, good funding, and a place you feel you will be happy. Then let the rest happen organically. 

PS - I'm from the state of Missouri, so know MU very well. If you have questions about living in Colombia / Missouri, happy to answer. Good luck!

Cheers, CR

Edited by crhyme

I'm in vastly different fields so I can only offer some very general comments:

- Will one of those general areas give you a more rigorous training/suitable angle to study your niche? (I'm primarily interested in tumor immunology, so I could go with immunology or cancer biology in terms of programs. I went with immunology and one faculty member I interviewed with specifically commented that he thinks it's smart; he thought that well-trained immunologists are better positioned to tackle questions in tumor immunology.)

- Is it easier to switch from A to B than from B to A? Will one of your options give you some unique aspects/skills that are hard to access once you've been away for a few years? (My PI often says that it's easier to transition from quantitative "hard" sciences to a "soft" science.)

- Which options give you more career choices, in case you lose interest/ability in working on this specific niche area? 

- For the faculty that you want to work with, what career path did they have? Did they start out somewhere different than what their current job title suggests?

(Remotely related: my dad had an geography degree and now teaches economics and real estates appraisal within an "earth sciences" department. This is all in China, though.)

@crhyme

Thanks very much for your input! Your comments have been echoed by the advisors I've discussed this with in person- so that is reassuring. I may connect with you again if I go with Missouri! I grew up in Indiana so if Columbia is anything like other medium-sized mid-western cities I hope I'll feel right at home.

@DRMF

Thanks much for your comments too. I definitely had not thought about the potential for easy transitions that you mentioned in your second point. That is something to consider for sure. Also your dad sounds very awesome ?