Should I take a visit even if I'm almost sure I won't attend?

AlkaKadri

Hey friends,

So I've been fortunate enough to receive a few offers of admission to PhD programs, and each school has offered to fly me out for a visitation weekend (like the usual). My top choice has already offered me admission, and I'm almost certain I'll be turning down these other offers since my prof of interest there has projects that appeal far more greatly to my interests than anywhere else.

When I spoke to one of my professors/LOR writers at my university, he strongly recommended that I take all the visits that I can so that I can to make faculty connections (I've expressed to him that I'm interested in remaining in academia). The issue for me though is that it feels inappropriate accepting the all these school's generous offers to fly me out just for personal gain like that.. On top of that, I'd be missing a whole lot of school to go on these trips (and this last semester's shaping out to be no joke).

At the same time, however, I'm afraid of making a big career mistake here by missing out on a bunch of opportunities to gain insight into other people's labs and such.

I'm just wanting to hear someone else's thoughts on this. What do you guys/gals think? Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

I would recommend that you go visit the schools that offered to fly you out. I went to visit for the program that was my number one but being on campus and chatting with professors/current students changed my mind. You never know if your opinion will change once you are there. 

If you are concerned about missing school for the visits then perhaps select one or two to visit rather than all of them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, AlkaKadri said:

Hey friends,

So I've been fortunate enough to receive a few offers of admission to PhD programs, and each school has offered to fly me out for a visitation weekend (like the usual). My top choice has already offered me admission, and I'm almost certain I'll be turning down these other offers since my prof of interest there has projects that appeal far more greatly to my interests than anywhere else.

When I spoke to one of my professors/LOR writers at my university, he strongly recommended that I take all the visits that I can so that I can to make faculty connections (I've expressed to him that I'm interested in remaining in academia). The issue for me though is that it feels inappropriate accepting the all these school's generous offers to fly me out just for personal gain like that.. On top of that, I'd be missing a whole lot of school to go on these trips (and this last semester's shaping out to be no joke).

At the same time, however, I'm afraid of making a big career mistake here by missing out on a bunch of opportunities to gain insight into other people's labs and such.

I'm just wanting to hear someone else's thoughts on this. What do you guys/gals think? Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

I’d fly out but be as open as possible to all these other options. Think of them as networking opportunities since these may be your future colleagues for the rest of your life; no one will bear ill-will towards you if they feel you were earnestly trying to consider them even if you turn them down. If you don’t visit at all, they’ll remember that and professors can be incredibly petty; maybe they’re the ones reviewing your next manuscript. I have pretty much an acceptance from my top choice and two more interviews from my bottom choices (out of 13) but I’m still attending both of them and going to hear them out

Edited by HawaiiLee808