Should I take a class because of a certain teacher? LOR consideration?

Brown_Bear

Hey,

I am in undergraduate, where I am almost a senior. I have to decide which classes to take, and am thinking about who my LOR writers will be, when I apply to graduate school. Having extra credits, electives to take, I am not sure of one thing: would it be wise for me to take a class with a teacher, just because I would like them to write a LOR for me later in the future? In other words, some LOR writer's I am thinking about, I've only taken one class with them. Is this enough for them to write me one for grad school? Or is this not a good way to make a schedule?

Thank you for trying to help me out.

I regret not having the foresight to build relationships with professors during undergrad for the purpose of recommendation letters. Thankfully, I'm an older grad school applicant now so it doesn't totally matter, but it would have made my job searches easier. 

I would definitely take the class if you feel this person has the potential to eventually write you a strong letter. Go beyond just doing well in the class, though-- demonstrate leadership, go to office hours, establish a connection with the professor, etc. You want your letter to be more than "Hasspurple earned a [grade] in [class 1] and [grade] in [class 2], which is in the [X percentile] of students." 

14 hours ago, apex45 said:

I regret not having the foresight to build relationships with professors during undergrad for the purpose of recommendation letters. Thankfully, I'm an older grad school applicant now so it doesn't totally matter, but it would have made my job searches easier. 

I would definitely take the class if you feel this person has the potential to eventually write you a strong letter. Go beyond just doing well in the class, though-- demonstrate leadership, go to office hours, establish a connection with the professor, etc. You want your letter to be more than "Hasspurple earned a [grade] in [class 1] and [grade] in [class 2], which is in the [X percentile] of students." 

Thank you for your response. I see that it is important to establish connections with professors. I will keep in mind these possible relationships as I move forward in both undergrad, and eventually to grad school applications. My mind is beginning to consider who I may ask for LOR's.