Interviews for MFA...

riskynostalgia

Yeah, I'm pretty freaked out. I have one coming for SF and I keep asking myself questions I think they would ask and I turn into a blubbering idiot.

I have some friends who have been through them... Typical questions thay say... What motivates your work? Why would you like to attend----apparently you should not say you want the studio space in whatever metropolitan area you are trying for. What is your works place in Contemporary Art? What did this _____ mean in your statement?, etc.

One on one is a lot less scary than in person with your work around a ravenous comittee I would think. That's why phone interviews are my friend. Must charge cell phone!!!!!!

I have some friends who have been through them... Typical questions thay say... What motivates your work? Why would you like to attend----apparently you should not say you want the studio space in whatever metropolitan area you are trying for. What is your works place in Contemporary Art? What did this _____ mean in your statement?, etc.

Oh, this is helpful. All my friends in grad school are in History or English programs. They've been awesome with trying to help, but I think they're also fuzzy on what the questions would be.

Ha to saying you want the studio space in whatever metro area.....that wouldn't have occurred to me as a possible answer, but I suppose someone somewhere must have said it. Most of the programs I applied to aren't in super-metro areas, but the at least two of the three CA programs are - CCA, SFSU, SJSU and I imagine San Jose isn't a tiny town, but I'm not really familiar with that area. I have an interview with CCA tomorrow.

Personally, I am just surprised CCA and Cranbrook are even interviewing me. I thought they'd laugh at my slides and throw them into the imaginary incinerator all grad admissions programs have [in my mind]. Maybe there just aren't many applicants to fiber/textile programs.

I never have any idea what to say to the place in contemporary art question. Or really the why would you like to attend ___ program. For the first one, I'm still so intensely uncomfortable listing other artists whose work I feel is along similar lines as mine. I feel like it makes mine seem even worse. :oops: For the second, I mean, there are so few textile programs, I applied to damn near all of them. And a few in sculpture/extended media besides. And I suspect they're looking for a great deal more than "well, you HAVE a textiles program and that's exciting."

OK, main goal for tomorrow and Friday: must not say in any way shape or form "Seriously, why are you talking to me? You could do so much better."

God, I want this process to stop eating my brain so I can work effectively again. My studio looks like it's been hit by a grad school application tornado.

Only one more application to go in now, though - Memphis College of Art.

On an aside, I'm really ridiculously happy to talk to other people who are applying on here. It moderates my absolute terror.

Here's what I've learned in the last couple of days:

An interview with CCA means you've made it past the first round of cuts - there are three levels - the first, based on portfolio etc. the second based on interview, and the third is a ten hour long review where all the faculty in all the departments look at the slides and decide who to accept.

Interview at Cranbrook (at least in the textiles dept) means you're at least wait-listed, and the interviews will decide who gets accepted and who gets wait-listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been through two interviews and the questions were more or less the same.

- Why Graphic Design?

- Why grad studies?

- Why 'insert school name here'?

- What do you think is the future of design? How do you see yourself placed in that image?

I have had a lot of fun giving these interviews. I felt like I was talking to a friend when we discussed problems faced by the designers/design today. I think the questions asked are the ones you would be asking yourself every single day, so answering them is not that big a deal. Just be relaxed, take it easy and be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

Another one to join the bandwagon! A friend of mine has applied for the Media Design Program at Art Center and Graphic Design at Pratt and Parsons. He has an interview with art center on friday, any pointers? Does this interview mean you've been waitlisted or does it mean you're in the final round? Also, does anyone know when Pratt and Parsons hand out their decisions. He applied for the AAS program I think. He's super nervous so any help would be great! =)