What to do this summer?

gummybear9

What do people typically do in the summer before going to graduate school?

I'm not eligible to apply for REUs since I'll have graduated undergrad by then, but I also don't just want to sit at home all summer. I need to make money anyway, and I don't have a car at home to get around to a minimum wage summer job or anything.

I was thinking of applying to industry internships, but since my experience is only in academic research, I don't know if I could find one. My field is biomedical engineering (interests in tissue engineering and experience in materials characterization).

Does anyone here have any advice?

2 hours ago, gummybear9 said:

What do people typically do in the summer before going to graduate school?

I'm not eligible to apply for REUs since I'll have graduated undergrad by then, but I also don't just want to sit at home all summer. I need to make money anyway, and I don't have a car at home to get around to a minimum wage summer job or anything.

I was thinking of applying to industry internships, but since my experience is only in academic research, I don't know if I could find one. My field is biomedical engineering (interests in tissue engineering and experience in materials characterization).

Does anyone here have any advice?

I would try to get an industry internship. I think it would be a good experience to have alongside your experience with academic research. Money plus experience is always a good combination in my opinion. I don't know where you live, but you could try contacting start-ups in your area related to tissue engineering or materials characterization.

Personally, I’d only advise working if you need the money, and I wouldn’t really recommend doing something in your field (I was a camp counselor) if you’re doing your PhD. You’ll be working basically nonstop for the next six years and this is the last summer you’ll really ever have off - enjoy it! 

I'm doing an internship at Genentech. I want to work for them after PhD so it is a good way to squirrel away some money, survey the lay of the land and network for the future. I think that academic research makes people well qualified for certain industry internships, especially in biotech. But feel yourself out now. If you are burned out already you may need a couple months to decompress before school. Also, be mindful of internship deadlines, many of them have passed (Novartis NIBR, Genentech, DOE SULI, and Illumina, for example). Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to go for a summer job! I'm decently far into the application process for a STEM Camp Counsellor position, which I'm really excited about because I love teaching kids. So I'll be able to have a good time and hopefully make a few bucks