School vs. Program

peligrietzer

I've had the good fortune to get admitted for Comp. Lit at Ivy's X and Y. Haven't visited yet, but it's relatively clear that X has the more exciting department, while Y is the more exciting school in terms of intellectual environment, neighboring disciplines and so on. Any similar experiences\thoughts?

Personally, I'd visit both departments to see what vibe you get from the faculty. While one may seem to have a more intellectually-stimulating environment across the university, it may help to remember that you are going to be a part of the comp lit department and make sure you'll have valuable experiences there. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I have another similar question.

Everybody seems to talk about rankings a lot. Even my current professors tell me that I will never get tenure at an institution "higher" than where I went to grad school. What about when the ranking of the program is way higher than the ranking of the school?

Example: CU-Boulder is ranked 22nd in Applied Math and Harvard is ranked 21. Does this mean that a graduate from CU has the exact same job opportunities as a Harvard graduate?

This doesn't really effect anything for me, I am just curious. (As a future CU alumni)

By the way, I don't know what "rankings" everyone is talking about, but US News seems to be the most exhaustive.