Interview Tips (HELP!!!)

jlortiz

I'm preparing myself a potential interview for 4 different schools that I have applied for.  I'm really starting to freak out because interviewing has never been my strong point.  I'm actually having a difficult time with the most common question; "Tell me about yourself". 

It is so open-ended that I am afraid I will start it off horribly and lose sight of where I am going.  I've read a lot of tips on how you should gear your answer to what lead you to want to apply to XX School and its program.  I've also read its important not to get too personal as well.  In reaching out to other former students who have experienced this one has told me they believe in making it somewhat personal like your family background, and where you are front since it gives a clearer picture of who I am and why I want to be a part of the school counseling program.  

Any tips on how I can answer this question would be helpful.  How did you prepare for your interview?  Did you practice key talking points so you wouldn't go off on a tangent?  

If it helps I applied to CSULB, CSUDH, CSULA and APU for their school counseling programs.  

5 minutes ago, jlortiz said:

I'm preparing myself a potential interview for 4 different schools that I have applied for.  I'm really starting to freak out because interviewing has never been my strong point.  I'm actually having a difficult time with the most common question; "Tell me about yourself". 

It is so open-ended that I am afraid I will start it off horribly and lose sight of where I am going.  I've read a lot of tips on how you should gear your answer to what lead you to want to apply to XX School and its program.  I've also read its important not to get too personal as well.  In reaching out to other former students who have experienced this one has told me they believe in making it somewhat personal like your family background, and where you are front since it gives a clearer picture of who I am and why I want to be a part of the school counseling program.  

Any tips on how I can answer this question would be helpful.  How did you prepare for your interview?  Did you practice key talking points so you wouldn't go off on a tangent?  

If it helps I applied to CSULB, CSUDH, CSULA and APU for their school counseling programs.  

When it comes to answering this question, I usually talk about where I studied and the degree I got. I then say why I am interested in this subject, delving into my specific research interests. I then say what I want to do during my PhD and after my PhD.

Here are some questions you want to prepare yourself for:

I skimmed over these question and thought of answers I might have, but I didn't really practice a lot. I just didn't want to be surprised during my phone interviews.

I hope this helps!

Thank you! This definitely helps and gives me a good look on what to expect.  I think I am over thinking it a lot, but when I am super nervous I've had problems with stumbling my words during my interviews.  Some of the schools I have applied to also do group interviews which definitely makes things nervewracking for me.  

I just got the "tell me about yourself" question! I started talking about my research motivations, what steps I've taken to get closer towards my goals, and why that led me to apply for this particular grad program. I went on a bit of a rant, and said something like "I think humanity needs technology that is more x, which is why I studied y, which led me to research and that is why I am so passionate about school."

One thing I do before interviews that REALLY helps is I go on rants in the mirror,  to practice answering questions. I find it especially helpful before I leave for an interview, it gets me in the right headspace! Best of luck, you'll do great!

The practice-rant works ESPECIALLY well if you use it on questions you're terrified of. For me, that question was "what projects would you want to work on in our research group?" but I knew they were going to ask me that, so I practiced and brainstormed until I nailed it.

Edited by aggiezone