Reading too much into post-interview thank you reply

neurotic12

Hi all,

Going a bit crazy here waiting for a post-interview decision, and wanted to get an honest opinion rather than blow this out of proportion in my head. 

I emailed the main PI I have been talking to at this school a brief thank you (mentioning that I enjoyed my visit and his advice) and he emailed back: 

"If you are at all on the fence about your decision, please let me know and I'd be happy to talk again to discuss questions/concerns/etc. I hope to see you at School X this fall" 

Is this more of a "hypothetically" if I get in thing or... I just can't tell. He is part of the adcom but still he obviously does not control all admissions. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

11 hours ago, neurotic12 said:

Hi all,

Going a bit crazy here waiting for a post-interview decision, and wanted to get an honest opinion rather than blow this out of proportion in my head. 

I emailed the main PI I have been talking to at this school a brief thank you (mentioning that I enjoyed my visit and his advice) and he emailed back: 

"If you are at all on the fence about your decision, please let me know and I'd be happy to talk again to discuss questions/concerns/etc. I hope to see you at School X this fall" 

Is this more of a "hypothetically" if I get in thing or... I just can't tell. He is part of the adcom but still he obviously does not control all admissions. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

They don't want to admit people who don't want to come to the school. If you respond to the email and tell them you're not at all on the fence and very excited about attending this school, they will likely admit you. Only do this if you do truly want to go to this school.