Harvard Mid-Career MPA

For those of us who are still waiting, I concur, this process is extremely frustrating. I submitted all of my materials in January and they received my GRE scores in February. Can folks chime in as to when they submitted their materials and note whether they have heard from KSG? Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Eventually, we will all receive our admissions decisions. Good luck everyone!

I received notification today at 3:45pm that I have been accepted into the MCMPA Program at the Kennedy School!!! This is a lifelong dream come true. I AM ON CLOUD NINE!!! The wait was grueling, but well worth it. I wish those of you still waiting to hear the best of luck! I can't wait to meet my new Kennedy School classmates!

From following the recent posts, it appears they announce on Thursdays? Anyone get notified today?

Has anyone heard if they have been rejected vs accepted and waitlisted? As I would prefer to know either way.

Thanks for any information.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing I decided to go to UC Berkeley and not wait for Harvard's decision as I received notification that my application was declined. GRE: 700Q/600V/5AW. Undergrad GPA 3.4. 7 years work experience in private sector. 1 year of leadership experience as a volunteer in public sector.

Good thing I decided to go to UC Berkeley and not wait for Harvard's decision as I received notification that my application was declined. GRE: 700Q/600V/5AW. Undergrad GPA 3.4. 7 years work experience in private sector. 1 year of leadership experience as a volunteer in public sector.

Same with me. I decided to go to Fletcher and was subsequently taken off the wait list by HKS. It's quite a surprise to me. I thought I had quite a good chance: GMAT 730, undergrad (econ) GPA 3.5 from one of the top 5 US universities, thesis supervised by a nobel laureate, masters with distinction from one of the top 5 b-schools, 10 years of experience in the private sector managing a fund with top 1% performance, published 7 papers, 3 excellent LORs and heavily involved in 2 charities. And it's not like I am switching drastically in career path: just from finance to financial policy/regulation.

I hope I am not being over-confident, but I thought the MPA program (MPA2 is what I was applying) has like a 50% acceptance rate and it shouldn't be THAT difficult to get in. Luckily I still have Fletcher to fall back on.

One person supposed to be familiar with admission told me that HKS may after all want people from the public sector or well-connected with the government, though I'm not sure if that is true.

Same with me. I decided to go to Fletcher and was subsequently taken off the wait list by HKS. It's quite a surprise to me. I thought I had quite a good chance: GMAT 730, undergrad (econ) GPA 3.5 from one of the top 5 US universities, thesis supervised by a nobel laureate, masters with distinction from one of the top 5 b-schools, 10 years of experience in the private sector managing a fund with top 1% performance, published 7 papers, 3 excellent LORs and heavily involved in 2 charities. And it's not like I am switching drastically in career path: just from finance to financial policy/regulation.

I hope I am not being over-confident, but I thought the MPA program (MPA2 is what I was applying) has like a 50% acceptance rate and it shouldn't be THAT difficult to get in. Luckily I still have Fletcher to fall back on.

One person supposed to be familiar with admission told me that HKS may after all want people from the public sector or well-connected with the government, though I'm not sure if that is true.

I work in audit so financial policy/regulation by no means is a major career transition. On top of that, HKS supposedly actively recruits US citizens from under represented minority backgrounds in public service. I also thought the MPA program historically has admitted 50% of applicants. So regardless of any policies to recruit minorities, I'm a little amused but also suprised that I was not admitted. I have to believe that HKS prefers those from the public sector or those who are government sponsored. I think that I'm more irritated for the fact that I wrote a bunch of fellowship and scholarship essays, in addition to the application essays. I would have preferred to be rejected before the fellowship and scholarship essays were due rather than having wasted all the energy and effort trying to obtain financial aid.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any admits heard about financial decisions? Last email I received said decisoins would be available May 20.

I received my email yesterday afternoon, about 4pm.

Received this email about 1 minute ago:

Dear Ronald:

Thank you for accepting our offer of admission to the Mid-Career MPA and welcome to the HKS Community! In light of a record number of people accepting our offer, we would like to encourage interested students to consider requesting a one year deferral of enrollment. All deferral requests will be given serious consideration. In certain cases, it may be possible to defer your financial aid package as well. All requests will be considered on a case by case basis, and approvals cannot be guaranteed.

Please respond directly to me no later than Noon on Friday, 28 May, if you would like to be considered for a deferment. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mike Burke

• 6 months later...

Hi dear fellow,

I am Waheed from Afghanistan. I came across the Mid-Career MPA program and liked it. Can any tell me how is the program? What is the status, Is it like the two year MPA and less than that? I really don't know whether to apply for this one year program of apply for the two year MPA.

Regards,