Did I offend by asking for a travel subsidy?

frenchfry

Hi everyone, I'm probably overthinking this but I'm also highly green to this whole process.

I've been accepted to 2 MA programs at universities that are at virtually opposite ends of the country. The one closest to me has offered up an open house for which they have also offered to cover my travel expenses (which won't even be in excess of $60 because I live so close). The other university is about 5000km away, but has not offered any such open house.

I was having another video chat with a prospective supervisor from this farther university, and I asked if it was possible to have my travel expenses covered in full or partially so that I could visit the campus. She was very encouraging and advised me on how to contact the coordinator to make my request, while mentioning that this would be a great time to make such a request because the department has been experiencing a huge income boom in the last few years and they've never had more funding.

The coordinator got back to me pretty quickly, and I can only summarize it as the following:

• No, because (1) flying students in is nothing more than a publicity stunt that proves ineffective, and (2) while we have extra funds, we are keeping them for current students who are enrolled.

I was then offered a virtual tour and told to ask others about their experiences (which is what I have already been doing for months). 

So my question is this: Did I expect way too much by making this request? I felt like the response was a little harsh in its tone (e.g. the term publicity stunt) and that I had caused some sort of offence. I don't know how to manage my expectations because I've never been in this position before. 

x