Getting Out of Academia

On 2/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, Ramus said:

Glad to hear it! A word of caution, though -- you probably will get more than one blank stare in response to your inquiries, especially at the two programs you've been accepted to. NYU and UVA are among the top programs, and they consider themselves as trainers of the professoriate exclusively. Things may be changing now, but I wouldn't be surprised if places like them still treat alt-ac as what the "failures" end up doing.

My undergrad mentors - lovely, kind, amazing people ❤️ - told me to not mention goals to focus on teaching instead of researching, and especially not alt-ac. So far, even just from peers in a social setting, the reactions have been ickyyyyyyy when I talk about other work. I said "I'd be really happy teaching at a community college" at my master's once (to friends, not professors or staff!) and I swear to god 3 people choked and looked hideously pained and embarrassed. Frankly, things like that are half of what makes me want to find a path outside of academia ?. But also to do the PhD and raise hell trying to advocate for people and poke at the sleepy, pissy bear that is the ivory tower.

1 hour ago, jillcicle said:

My undergrad mentors - lovely, kind, amazing people ❤️ - told me to not mention goals to focus on teaching instead of researching, and especially not alt-ac. So far, even just from peers in a social setting, the reactions have been ickyyyyyyy when I talk about other work. I said "I'd be really happy teaching at a community college" at my master's once (to friends, not professors or staff!) and I swear to god 3 people choked and looked hideously pained and embarrassed. Frankly, things like that are half of what makes me want to find a path outside of academia ?. But also to do the PhD and raise hell trying to advocate for people and poke at the sleepy, pissy bear that is the ivory tower.

Ugh yeah, that's gross. At my institution there was a lot of that attitude, but as I went on I think there was more of a split between the pragmatists and the ones who'd consider themselves a failure if they didn't get a TT job. I knew a woman who, from her first year, made very clear that she wanted to work at a non-profit; and another who, like you, had a goal of teaching at community college. I think some of the old guard profs definitely didn't know what to make of that, but I made sure to surround myself with advisors and friends who valued other paths and motivations, too.