Funded MAs

Cranston

I was one of the poor saps who was rejected across the board by PhD programs. It's not the end of the world - I love my job and don't mind staying another year - but I do still want to apply again in the next admissions cycle. Since I didn't look at MA programs this time around, my plan is to apply for both PhDs and MAs. I have my PhD list together and am now looking for well-regarded, funded MAs (of which I know there aren't many). Since so many program websites are vague about funding potential, I was hoping I could turn to the collective wisdom of all you wonderful people. Which MAs have given you a good funding package? Which don't tend to offer any money at all?

If it helps narrow it down at all, I'm a modern Europeanist (or will/would be), with a focus on post-war immigration. I know this is a really vague question but I'm just looking for some direction to focus my search. Thanks a ton in advance for any help you can provide!

I also was rejected from all of the PhD programs I applied to, however, as I anticipated this, I applied to three MA programs and was accepted at all (two with full funding). I don't know about well-regarded but I was accepted and received full funding at both Bowling Green State University and Kent State, and was given a vague promise for potential funding later on in the program by the University of Vermont. I only applied to the above schools due to the presence of a potential adviser, not the prestige of the program. With both Kent and BGSU, I would be able to work with a very highly regarded professor in the field I am pursuing.

I agree with student35. I'm finishing up my master's now at a large public university without a PhD program. Since there aren't many history grad students, getting full funding for both years was quite easy.

Also, look into funding opportunities outside of the department. My first year I worked for the campus tutoring center as a graduate assistant (I taught supplemental history classes for high-risk freshman). It included tuition, health insurance, and a better stipend than the one I'm getting from my PhD program!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

It was a little daunting trying to research the hundreds of history MAs out there, so it's great to have an idea of the general type of school I should have on my radar. Thanks again!