Thinking about applying for a PHD (issues)

rickz123456

Hello everyone.
After finishing my master's degree recently, I was invited to participate in  investigation with my thesis supervisor. The idea is transform my master's thesis into a paper, as well as write 3 or 4 new ones with starting point for my master's thesis.
Recently my supervisor asked me if I would be interested in doing a phd in economics or public policy. She also promised me help finding bags etc ...
I really like to do research and I'm willing to try, but this is where my questions come from.
1) I often see universities calling for GPAs above a certain value. In my country, the scale is 0-20. How do I know if my gardes are good enough? 15 (undergrad), 17 (master in economics), 18(master thesis) - I'm afraid my grades are too low.
2) For example, if the undergrad grades are low, but still the 2nd best, should I mention in the application or not? Makes any difference?

Thank you

@rickz123456 A quick search finds a number of tools to convert foreign education scales to American 4.0 scales.  (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=foreign+to+american+grades+conversion&t=ffab&atb=v68-2&ia=web

As for whether you believe your GPA is low, but you're the 2nd highest grades in your program, then, yes, you absolutely should explain that in your SOP.  It will make a big difference.  Say for example you're on an American 4.0 system and got 2.73 (B to C average), you'd probably get rejected.  But, if you can prove that the highest GPA in your class was 2.80, then, compared to your peers, you did remarkably well and the fault is in the instruction, not you.  So, you might want to consider that when you're selling yourself in your statement. 

8 hours ago, Ternwild said:

@rickz123456 A quick search finds a number of tools to convert foreign education scales to American 4.0 scales.  (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=foreign+to+american+grades+conversion&t=ffab&atb=v68-2&ia=web

As for whether you believe your GPA is low, but you're the 2nd highest grades in your program, then, yes, you absolutely should explain that in your SOP.  It will make a big difference.  Say for example you're on an American 4.0 system and got 2.73 (B to C average), you'd probably get rejected.  But, if you can prove that the highest GPA in your class was 2.80, then, compared to your peers, you did remarkably well and the fault is in the instruction, not you.  So, you might want to consider that when you're selling yourself in your statement. 

Thank you very much! 

I  found information that universities like the LSE have as minimum requirements for 16/20 grades. I think most of the others will be similar.
So, and having I 16.5 (17) and research experience I can at least dream of being accepted into such a program.
Thank you