How do you manage transportational needs in grad school?

Brown_Bear

Hello all,

I am approaching my final year of Undergraduate studies, where I will be applying to grad school later this year. My question is in regards to the future; what do grad school aspirants do about transportation, namely if they do not have a vehicle, but want to travel outside of their current city?

For those in grad school, how did this all work out? This seems like a fundamental feature of moving away, or transitioning into further academic studies, yet it seems difficult to approach. I understand that everyone gets a vehicle in many different ways, whether by working, leasing, or family help, et cetera.

With this in mind, what would be the suggestion for an undergrad student who may need a car in a year or two? Is it better to try to manage if you don't need one in grad school? Or should I try to save money to lease or purchase? Wait for funding to come through if it does at a program?

Basically, any sort of advice or input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you everyone!

It really depends on where you end up. In some places, you need a car, while others have very good public transportation available. A lot of college towns will have a good transportation network, making it easy to get around town.

With that said, I would suggest you start saving now if you have the means to do so. Worst case is you don't need to buy/lease a car and end up with some emergency savings. The stipend probably wouldn't be enough to buy a car. Even if you lease, you usually need a down payment of some sort.