Is UW-Madison's notification of PhD acceptance always go without funding information?

zjppdozen

Just curious. I was accepted into a Ph.D. program in UW-Madison. I received acceptance notification from the department coordinator three weeks ago. But as of today, no formal acceptance letter was issued either by the department or the graduate school. No funding information to follow up. Only one invitation from the department ask accepted applicants to join in their campus visit hold in the mid-March.

I emailed the program coordinator to ask for information about funding. He only replied that the department had forwarded my information to all faculties and staff to help with the funding process. This is vague information and I start assuming there is no guaranteed funding in the department to support PhD students to study in UW - Madison?

Is this weird? Before I submit my application, the program said all of the Ph.D. applicants are automatically considered of all available scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships. But now it seems there is no guaranteed funding for the program to admit new doctoral students. I noticed someone who got accepted into the other program into the UW - Madison also faced this dilemma. They admit students first and then start looking for the fundings in their department?

I think any decision of acceptance should be made as long as the department has sufficient funding to support students to study in the program. The offer of admission I received from other universities always come with funding information and formal acceptance letter from the department. So I am curious is this a common practice for UW - Madison to accept students without considering any kinds of funding before they make any decision? Or the students need to contact faculties in the department to look for their own funding opportunities after get accepted? 

Edited by zjppdozen

On 2/22/2019 at 3:41 PM, zjppdozen said:

Just curious. I was accepted into a Ph.D. program in UW-Madison. I received acceptance notification from the department coordinator three weeks ago. But as of today, no formal acceptance letter was issued either by the department or the graduate school. No funding information to follow up. Only one invitation from the department ask accepted applicants to join in their campus visit hold in the mid-March.

I emailed the program coordinator to ask for information about funding. He only replied that the department had forwarded my information to all faculties and staff to help with the funding process. This is vague information and I start assuming there is no guaranteed funding in the department to support PhD students to study in UW - Madison?

Is this weird? Before I submit my application, the program said all of the Ph.D. applicants are automatically considered of all available scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships. But now it seems there is no guaranteed funding for the program to admit new doctoral students. I noticed someone who got accepted into the other program into the UW - Madison also faced this dilemma. They admit students first and then start looking for the fundings in their department?

I think any decision of acceptance should be made as long as the department has sufficient funding to support students to study in the program. The offer of admission I received from other universities always come with funding information and formal acceptance letter from the department. So I am curious is this a common practice for UW - Madison to accept students without considering any kinds of funding before they make any decision? Or the students need to contact faculties in the department to look for their own funding opportunities after get accepted? 

I was accepted two weeks ago and on my email they provided me with the funding information (relocation allowance, stipend and health insurance).