Current UIUC Students??

MIslp

Hi! I was accepted to University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign and I was wondering if there were any current graduate students attending UIUC that I could message and talk to about the program. :)

19 hours ago, Emily6158 said:

Hey! I’m an undergrad at uiuc and I know some of the grad students/have taken a couple of the grad courses already. I can try to help answer the questions you have! :)

Oh perfect! I just really wanted to hear what some of the students liked and disliked about the program, are there opportunities for TA/GA/RA positions, do you have to do a thesis to be involved in research, etc. etc. 

On 2/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, elizSLP said:

Oh perfect! I just really wanted to hear what some of the students liked and disliked about the program, are there opportunities for TA/GA/RA positions, do you have to do a thesis to be involved in research, etc. etc. 

Sorry for the late response! Personally i've loved being an undergrad student here. All of the professors i've had are great teachers and really care about how their students are doing in their courses. From the grad level courses i've taken, the professors are even more close knit with the students since the cohort size is usually around 20 people. It really seems like the professors are your colleagues, and want to see you succeed. I emailed last week about TA/GA positions in the field but they said there are none available right now, but often times students can find a position in a related field. They said there would be more info released on this at the open house too. Also another plus to the program is the amount of research opportunities. I've been involved in 3 different research labs, all of them were really great, unique experiences. From what I know you don't have to write a thesis to be involved in research as  grad student. Let me know if you have other questions!!