Help! What to ask your potential PhD adviser?

pubhealth2019

I've gotten accepted to the MSPH-to-PhD program in Health Behavior at UNC and I'm thrilled! However, this was the only PhD program I applied to - all the others are Masters programs (I don't have any graduate degrees, just undergrad). I've been matched with an adviser and am feeling very overwhelmed because she wants to meet me in person tomorrow and I have no idea what to ask. I feel like I know everything there is to know about Masters programs but have no idea how to judge if this PhD program is right for me. 

So PhD applicants, what kinds of questions will you all ask of your potential advisers? How will you tackle that first meeting? A PhD is such a huge commitment - what questions will you ask to decide if that program is right for you? 

Thank you!

All the conversations I've had like this have been pretty casual and flow naturally. I wouldn't stress about coming in with lots prepared since you're already accepted. But here's some stuff you might consider asking: 

- Where does she see her research going over the next few years? 

- What data does she have access to/have banked for future student projects? 

- What does she expect of you in your first year? 

- Does she advise current students that you could talk to? (You definitely want to talk to them to get their honest opinion on her mentoring abilities)

- Will you get 1:1 attention or does she prefer a team meeting structure? 

- Where does your funding come from? Are you required to TA or RA, or are you on a fellowship that allows you to work on your own projects? 

Good luck! You're already in, the hard part is over.