Over-qualified master candidate?

physicsnav

Hi everyone!

yesterday I had an interview with a professsor. She was trying to show me that I am a over-qualified candidate for the master program... I asked her would it affect my chance? She told me she wouldn’t definitely introduce her ‘personal opinion’ in this decision and she emphasized that will be my decision... after the interview, I think I couldn’t convince her why I applied to the master program (I couldn’t apply for the phd program this year at that school).

however, I’m too worried... I haven’t yet received any email regarding my application... should I send a followup email to her telling what my reasons are for applying to the master? Is a ‘over-qualified’ candidate meaningful in a master program in physics?

dying out of stress. Any help is appreciated!

thanks

Edited by physicsnav

Although different, I applied to Columbia's bridge program last year and they told me the same thing. I made it to the top 3 of the selection process for 2 available spots. I had a follow up Skype interview after I wasn't selected, and he told me something they use to rank people in this bridge program is a "delta" factor. He explained this is a guess as to how much this program can help someone's application for a future PhD application. If there was something small that prevented me from getting into a competitive PhD program, like a low PGRE, this wouldn't be as big of a boost for another applicant who has gotten good grades but doesn't have any research experience. Since the physics MS degree is usually a stepping stone, they want to make sure they can provide the most help to people who need it most, kind of a utilitarian approach.

46 minutes ago, chris314 said:

Although different, I applied to Columbia's bridge program last year and they told me the same thing. I made it to the top 3 of the selection process for 2 available spots. I had a follow up Skype interview after I wasn't selected, and he told me something they use to rank people in this bridge program is a "delta" factor. He explained this is a guess as to how much this program can help someone's application for a future PhD application. If there was something small that prevented me from getting into a competitive PhD program, like a low PGRE, this wouldn't be as big of a boost for another applicant who has gotten good grades but doesn't have any research experience. Since the physics MS degree is usually a stepping stone, they want to make sure they can provide the most help to people who need it most, kind of a utilitarian approach.

Thanks. Do you think it’s a good idea to send a follow-up email to this professor explaining my reasons? I was stressed and couldn’t convince him that I couldn’t study PhD at that school this year...

I think it is worth contacting them, there may be other factors from a funding side that makes it difficult to consider an MS student. I don't know too much about their program so I can't be much help there. At this point, I don't think that providing them more information will hurt you.