Top5 MSCS then PhD vs Top20 CS PhD

heyjude0820

Hi all, I've been admitted to UIUC MSCS and UMD CS PhD. My research interest is HCI+AI.

UIUC MSCS:

Pros: It is a thesis based master program, which means I can do RA to gain more research experiences. This program also supports nearly all of the students with RA/TA stipend, which is quite rare in master programs. Also, UIUC is ranking high in computer science, especially in AI, ML, DM related fields. Although UIUC is not very strong in HCI, its advantage in AI could also overpower it. 

Cons: Applying again after master program is still challenging. Every year the competition gets harder and harder. Can I really achieve a better result after a master's program? Still risky. It also means 2-3 more years for research.

UMD CS PhD:

Pros: Has a lot of professors that I am interested in working with. UMD is strong in HCI. The main POI is an assistant professor who just got his faculty position, which means he will be working hard in the next following years. And I like his research. UMD also has a brand new CS building, which is attracting. And most importantly, it's PhD program and I don't have to apply again with pressure.

Cons: I have to say that I still care a lot about schools' reputation. Deeply inside I still have a dream of going to big name colleges. It's also a lot easier to get a decent faculty position if you're from a top university. I know UMD is already ranking high in computer science, but it's still not that famous compared to other top universities. It's kinda silly but I believe everyone would still care about it. And I am the first student of the main POI, which also raises concern.

My career goal is to get a faculty position or become a research scientist studying HCI+AI. I know these two are all excellent places to go, and I really need some advice. Thanks in advance!

If your goal is eventually getting PHD this is no contest. Name values do not mean anything in research, and to be honest there is no guarantee that you will be excepted to UMD CS PHD level schools after you finish masters. Go for the PhD and focus on your research topic.

Anyway congratulation for getting accepted to good schools.

14 hours ago, yjkim192 said:

If your goal is eventually getting PHD this is no contest. Name values do not mean anything in research, and to be honest there is no guarantee that you will be excepted to UMD CS PHD level schools after you finish masters. Go for the PhD and focus on your research topic.

Anyway congratulation for getting accepted to good schools.

Thanks a lot for the advice. If the master program is not UIUC MSCS particularly, then I would not hesitate to go to UMD PhD even it’s, like, CMU MSCS or Stanford MSCS. But UIUC is really different because it aims for students to prepare students for PhD program, not professional works. A high proportion of students in this program transfer into PhD programs so it’s really attracting. Research based master’s programs are rare and UIUC is really among the top ones. So 2 years of continuous research would really help me get into a good school... Still considering... 

Anyway your word helps!

6 hours ago, heyjude0820 said:

Thanks a lot for the advice. If the master program is not UIUC MSCS particularly, then I would not hesitate to go to UMD PhD even it’s, like, CMU MSCS or Stanford MSCS. But UIUC is really different because it aims for students to prepare students for PhD program, not professional works. A high proportion of students in this program transfer into PhD programs so it’s really attracting. Research based master’s programs are rare and UIUC is really among the top ones. So 2 years of continuous research would really help me get into a good school... Still considering... 

Anyway your word helps!

Well If you are confident that you can reach PhD after masters, then yeah take the risk It is your life anyways~

I'm was just saying it is a risk to select Masters when you already got an offer for a top research school like Phd at UMD. 

Good luck I envy you

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tough choice. If it helps at all, I was in a similar situation several years ago. I was admitted to PhD programs at UMass and Toronto (MS+PhD,  though Toronto wasn't quite as good back in 2012). I was also admitted to MS programs at Stanford and CMU Robotics. You can read about part of my decision process here: 

The CMU MS Robotics was also a research-based Masters. I ultimately chose that over the PhD programs and it worked out very well for me -- I was later admitted to CMU for a PhD. That said, that's just one data point.

My first instinct is that UMD is the better choice, but I could definitely understand going to UIUC if you think it's a very strong research MS program (I'm not familiar with it). UMD is a strong program and it sounds like there are people there you'd be excited to work with. UIUC is great but there's a big dropoff after the big 4, and you'd likely have to restart your research if you went to a different school afterward. For UIUC, you should look into how many of the students get RAships. You should also try to figure out if there is any chance any of the AI faculty would actually work with you. AI professors these days are swamped with students that want to work with them, and MS students might not get the highest priority.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, Adamah said:

This is a tough choice. If it helps at all, I was in a similar situation several years ago. I was admitted to PhD programs at UMass and Toronto (MS+PhD,  though Toronto wasn't quite as good back in 2012). I was also admitted to MS programs at Stanford and CMU Robotics. You can read about part of my decision process here: 

The CMU MS Robotics was also a research-based Masters. I ultimately chose that over the PhD programs and it worked out very well for me -- I was later admitted to CMU for a PhD. That said, that's just one data point.

My first instinct is that UMD is the better choice, but I could definitely understand going to UIUC if you think it's a very strong research MS program (I'm not familiar with it). UMD is a strong program and it sounds like there are people there you'd be excited to work with. UIUC is great but there's a big dropoff after the big 4, and you'd likely have to restart your research if you went to a different school afterward. For UIUC, you should look into how many of the students get RAships. You should also try to figure out if there is any chance any of the AI faculty would actually work with you. AI professors these days are swamped with students that want to work with them, and MS students might not get the highest priority.

Thanks a lot for your advice! Your suggestions all make sense and I've thought about these facts too. I've decided to go to UIUC and re-apply again after two years lol